Sponsored by:

Window not working now

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Chris in WNC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window not working now

Hi. I posted earlier in the week about ignition problems. Thanks to the Board and an excellent DIY from Pedro (my friends are stunned when I show them the information available about this car and the community of support...well, they are stunned that I actually do anything to this car given my limited mechanical knowledge and I have to fess up and tell them how much help is available in the community), I swapped the switch and ignition operation seems to be back to normal.

However, while waiting for the part the battery died. I assume this is due to the car 'thinking' the key was still in and some systems draining the battery. Jumped the car with no problems and it drove fine. The only thing is that there is now no response from the passenger window. Nothing happens when I push the switch or pull the door handle or open the latch to lower the top. I followed the instructions in the manual to reset the window but there is no reaction at all. So again I appeal to the collective wisdom and knowledge of the Board and ask for suggestions about areas to look. Is there a wire I could have bumped while cramming myself under the steering wheel? Could I have hit a fuse while using a "donor battery" to open the front hood? As always, any thoughts, advice, ideas, commiseration are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris in WNC
Hi. I posted earlier in the week about ignition problems. Thanks to the Board and an excellent DIY from Pedro (my friends are stunned when I show them the information available about this car and the community of support...well, they are stunned that I actually do anything to this car given my limited mechanical knowledge and I have to fess up and tell them how much help is available in the community), I swapped the switch and ignition operation seems to be back to normal.

However, while waiting for the part the battery died. I assume this is due to the car 'thinking' the key was still in and some systems draining the battery. Jumped the car with no problems and it drove fine. The only thing is that there is now no response from the passenger window. Nothing happens when I push the switch or pull the door handle or open the latch to lower the top. I followed the instructions in the manual to reset the window but there is no reaction at all. So again I appeal to the collective wisdom and knowledge of the Board and ask for suggestions about areas to look. Is there a wire I could have bumped while cramming myself under the steering wheel? Could I have hit a fuse while using a "donor battery" to open the front hood? As always, any thoughts, advice, ideas, commiseration are greatly appreciated.
It is always a possibility that you damaged a wire or a fuse but unlikely. If a fuse I would think both windows would not work if a fuse was blown.

I leave it to you to double check the wiring for any signs of obvious damage and to test the fuse just in case each window is fused separately.

Other than that all I can suggest is you follow the proper steps to disconnect the battery then step on the brake pedal to remove any residual power from the car's electrical systems then reconnect the battery.

Be sure the key is not on nor even in the ignition and after the battery is disconnected do not insert the key or attempt to start the engine. (This can put the DME at risk.)

The idea is to power reset the security system and the door locks and such.

Before you disconnect the battery be sure you have the radio code and afterwards know how to reset the window limits.

If you have a car that came equipped with E-Gas you will need to follow the steps to allow the E-gas to relearn after a power loss.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:38 PM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Disconnect battery for a few, then reconnect and this may do it...I had similar problem when my old battery was nearly dead...Lights started flashing crazy...During this process, my passenger side window remained up all the way and would not auto drop when the door opened.

Once I installed the new battery, I dropped the windows all the way, then raised them. They stoped at proper height...no issued since...

Try it and let us know if this worked...

Quick Reply: Window not working now