Sponsored by:

Brake Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011 | 04:00 AM
shipard
Advanced

Default Brake Light Issue

Hi All,

Seems when i put my foot on the brake pedal brake light comes on.....as per normal but when i press the brake pedal hard brake light goes off. Seems to me the switch/sensor (if thats what its called) is set for when i just touch the brake pedal but not when i brake hard. The brake pedal is a little bit spongie and i do mean a tiny little bit, but anyone got any ideas or come across this before ?

Do i need to bleed the brakes and get rid of a little bit of spongieness in the brake pedal or do i need to replace the brake light sensor/switch. I am open to help and suggestions

I have a Boxster 2000S if that helps.

thanks in advance
Old 08-14-2011 | 08:58 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Have you checked your brake pads? You may have worn down to the sensor. Additionally, if you pedal is spongy when was the last time you changed the fluid?
Old 08-14-2011 | 07:08 PM
shipard
Advanced

Hi Ray,

Sorry should have mentioned (made it clearer) i was talking about the rear red brake lights not the dash brake sensor light.

I replaced the pads about 6 months ago, and no issues with the rear brake light until now.

I will try bleeding the brakes this week and see if that resolves the issue
Old 08-14-2011 | 07:48 PM
ChrisJP
Intermediate

I would first change the contact located behind the brake pedal, it's about 15$ if my memory serves me right.
A bit difficult to access but it's a 5mn job.
Old 08-14-2011 | 08:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by shipard
Hi All,

Seems when i put my foot on the brake pedal brake light comes on.....as per normal but when i press the brake pedal hard brake light goes off. Seems to me the switch/sensor (if thats what its called) is set for when i just touch the brake pedal but not when i brake hard. The brake pedal is a little bit spongie and i do mean a tiny little bit, but anyone got any ideas or come across this before ?

Do i need to bleed the brakes and get rid of a little bit of spongieness in the brake pedal or do i need to replace the brake light sensor/switch. I am open to help and suggestions

I have a Boxster 2000S if that helps.

thanks in advance
The recommendation to change the brake light switch is right on.

What proved to be a worn out switch was causing the same symptom in my 02 Boxster.

While you're there... You might want to consider replacing the clutch interlock switch and even the cruise control disable switch -- if your car is equipped with a manual transmission of course. The switches are not expensive. The hard part of the job is getting one's body arranged to get at the darn things.

Then it sounds like you need to flush/bleed the brakes. And if the car is equipped with a manual transmission and clutch then you should flush/bleed the clutch slave cylinder.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-15-2011 | 02:01 AM
shipard
Advanced

Thanks Guys,

Does anyone have the part number......

cheers
Old 08-15-2011 | 05:30 AM
ChrisJP
Intermediate

Here's the link to the brake light switch (from Pelican)
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0
Old 08-15-2011 | 06:52 AM
shipard
Advanced

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.....Part ordered awaiting delivery.

Quick Reply: Brake Light Issue