Sponsored by:

If I had an ims failure....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 PM
recycled sixties
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I had an ims failure....

Did not want to add this comment to the other ims threads so thought I would start a new one. Being a new owner of a 2001 Boxster and have had it just two months, I had to take it on a road trip. I drove 1400 miles round trip in 4 days in Canada and P dealerships were about 300 miles apart. Somewhat apprehensive, but everything was perfect. The a/c was great and the car handled perfectly. I try to drive it like I stole it, legally of course, and do not want an ims failure.

What goes through my mind sometimes is "what would I do if I had an ims failure?" I have no extended warranty so I am on my own. Next year I want to have installed the latest edition of the ims bearing. If I had a failure, then I think I would replace it and either sell it(and buy another MX5 which I previously had) or I would give the Boxster one more chance.

This is probably the best driving experience I have ever had and feel more secure in it than the Miata. The Boxster has only 31000 miles on it so it should have lots of life left in it. I know it sounds negative but I would be interested in knowing what other Boxster owners would do if they had an ims failure.
Option 1 - replace engine and sell it ? or Option 2 - replace engine and continue driving it. The latter brings to mind, does a new replacement ims come with a guarantee? Have any of the new ims replacements failed?
Really interested. In advance thanks for your input!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:05 PM
ltusler
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Welcome to the slippery slope.
Keep the oil clean.
Do not lug the engine.
Fully warm it everytime you drive it.
Consider the installation of the Flat 6 Innovations early warning device.
Save up about 2k.
Replace the IMS with the LN or Flat 6 Innovations kit, replace the clutch plate and AOS at the same time.
Deal with a failure when and if it happens.
Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:15 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

IMS requires high rpms to lubricate properly; failures are statistically much much higher in garage queens and babied porsches, and surprisingly rare in tracked cars and those driven with a lead foot. I think you've got the right attitude for a long and happy life with your Boxster
Old 07-24-2011, 09:07 AM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

If I heard the "death rattle" of an IMS failure I would immediately turn off the engine and flat bed the car to an independent Porsche shop that does IMS retrofits with the lnengineering kits and I'd have them install a retrofit IMS bearing. Assuming the engine then runs, I'd change the oil several times to get as much of the fine metal bearing bits out of the engine. I've actually seen this work on a 986 Boxster and the car runs fine many thousands of miles later. I guess if you shut the engine down before the internals start falling apart, there's a chance of saving the engine. I believe it is worth a try before installing another engine.

Quick Reply: If I had an ims failure....