Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about height of sport seats (or other seats)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question about height of sport seats (or other seats)

I have a 1999 Boxster. When I bought the car it had the standard seats. One thing I did not like about them is that the top of the headrest was below the roll bar hoop. Being tall (6'3") there was nothing between the back of my head and the roll bar. It would not be good if I were ever hit from behind.

A few years ago I splurged on a set of Euro GT3 seats (fixed back and holes for harnesses). I really like the seats, and I even bought a set of 6-point harnesses to go with them. I've taken the car to Summit Point a few times, and thought I might use the car more frequently on the track.

Earlier this spring I bought a 924S, which will become my autocross/track car. The Boxster will become more of a cruiser. Anyway, I'm thinking about stepping down from the Euro GT3 seats, but I won't go back to the standard seats.

Can anyone tell me if any of the various 986/996/987/997 "sport" seats, when placed in a 986, will actually put headrest in front of the roll bar???

Can anyone post pictures?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

one option is maybe getting rid of the sliders. if you are content with a fixed fore/aft position, you can lower the seat by about 1.5" by bolting it to the floor with adapters.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by insite
one option is maybe getting rid of the sliders. if you are content with a fixed fore/aft position, you can lower the seat by about 1.5" by bolting it to the floor with adapters.
Thanks for the reply, but I would like to keep the sliders. I occasionally let other people drive the car. Although my wife isn't particularly interested in driving the car, it's a possibility. Also, I'm not sure that lowering the seat will solve the problem about which I'm concerned. If I get a non-Euro-GT3 seat, then what I'm really looking for is something that has a taller headrest than the stock seat. Even if I lowered the seat by an inch and a half, I think I would still have roll bar behind my skull.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Pat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I'd probably just leave it as is.
I'm also 6'3" and have a different seat in the car. But mine is one piece and bolted straight to the floor. It's just low enough.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NONE*. I dont recall ANY 986/996 seat for us consumption that protectes from the roll over hoops. GT3 seats are about as good as you can get.

*I say none based on how you want/need to sit in the car to begin with to be comfortable.

Sounds like you need to sell the Boxster and get a 996 Cab - no rollbar behind the seat allows more room/seat angles and more comfort
Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was running errands in Annapolis today, and I stopped by Porsche of Annapolis to pick up a can of waterproof spray for the Boxster. While I was there, I sat in one of the Boxsters in the showroom. It has stock, manual seats (backrest is power adjustable), and sure enough, the headrest is tall enough that it covers the back of my head. Apparenly the newer 987 seats are "taller" than what came with my 986.

I didn't have time to look into things further, but I'll have to see if they are available in Boxster Red.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

987 seats are taller and the rollbar hoops were reconfigured in shape as well.

Quick Reply: Question about height of sport seats (or other seats)