AST Dampers finally in

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 10:31 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default AST Dampers finally in

Finally got my AST struts mounted up:

I went with AST 5100 model single adjustable units with stock top plates to stay legal for PCA production class. The great thing is that these have the same guts as their triple adjustable units, so you can upgrade later if desired.

AST doesn't seem to be too popular with the P-car crowd, but these are the guys that recently bought the Moton company, so you may be hearing more of them in the future.

I am astonished at the diameter of that damper piston rod. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform over the stock units I had been running.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2011, 05:01 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you provide more details about whether your Boxster is still driven on the street, spring rates, ride height, and cost of this setup?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:00 AM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
Can you provide more details about whether your Boxster is still driven on the street, spring rates, ride height, and cost of this setup?
Street Driven - Yes, but not a daily driver. It's quite firm, but not too harsh for me. However, it's not yet S.O. tested, and wife may refuse to ride in it again.

Spring Rates - In the 400-500 lb/in. range. I would imagine these dampers can take any spring you want, and some I would not want to try.

Ride Height - Adjustable from about stock ride height to slammed. Just be wary of suspension geometry if you want to go low.

Cost - Much more than PSS9's, but less than Motons. These guys were the only ones I found who actually came through to sell me a custom damper curve that I specifically wanted. Others said they could do it, but never seemed to follow through. You can buy direct from them at: http://ast-usa.com/

Quick Reply: AST Dampers finally in