Sponsored by:

1999 Boxster 5 Speed Transmisison Core Value

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:53 PM
glencase
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Boxster 5 Speed Transmisison Core Value

I have a 5 speed Transmission that came out of a 1999 Boxster Base that developed a weird fluttering noise on acceleration in all gears. The Transmission still functioned seemingly as it should but required replacement at the time due to the unknown internal issues.

I'm asking here if anyone has an idea of how much this tranny is worth and where you might think a good place to get rid of it would be. I'm guessing Craigslist is probably not the right kind of place for it to actually get anything out of it at all however, and I'm not really willing to ship it so it would need to be a local pickup and Ebay is kind of out as well.

I was thinking of listing it on Pelican parts forums for local pickup but I'm not sure.

Would you kind individuals would have some other recommendations.

How much is it worth, if anything
Where would you recommend listing it

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Glen
Old 06-26-2011, 02:01 PM
glencase
Racer

Some Pics
Attached Images    
Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 PM
glencase
Racer

Homer moment

I'm in Ashburn Virginia, I drove the vehicle to the shop and the tranny worked in all gears it just had that weird noise that they told me that it would be adviseable to replace the tranny due to unknown cost etc.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 AM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Glen,
PM sent
Old 07-08-2011, 09:13 PM
sdstimson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also am wondering what the value is as I have one as well 1st makes an odd clicking noise but still works, 4th you can get in to 50% of the time and 5th makes a high pitched whining noise, but still works. Looks as if the PO has had it opened up once before. I am just going to throw my car up on the lift and replace it this weekend so I would like to sell it soon.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From a recycler you can source running 5speeds with verifiable mileage for between 1K and 1.2K usually they give you some warranty in the event something is messed up in the box.

Core's or boxes with issues as low as $150-200. You don't really know what you are getting into until you open it up. 1 bearing that spins and messes up the race enough and the actual case is junk as happened to me with a 6 speed. I priced out just the bearings for a 6speed box and eclipsed $1k before doing any actual work.

Most people that I have known with gearbox issues on M96 street cars just do the exchange or rebuild with Gbox. The unknowns and parts are too high unless you can and will do a lot of work yourself but the parts are $$$ and often a long wait.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdstimson
I also am wondering what the value is as I have one as well 1st makes an odd clicking noise but still works, 4th you can get in to 50% of the time and 5th makes a high pitched whining noise, but still works. Looks as if the PO has had it opened up once before. I am just going to throw my car up on the lift and replace it this weekend so I would like to sell it soon.
I may be interested in your box for the right price. I've got a couple dead ones that I'm currently trying to rebuild and might be able to use some goods from it.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 PM
sdstimson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll send you a PM, I have a 6spd core as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Klimo
Intermediate

I just did a number on my '01 5 speed at Road America. Not to hijack the thread, but how much is a rebuild or a new one? Thanks.

Quick Reply: 1999 Boxster 5 Speed Transmisison Core Value