Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keyfob stopped working- Install alarm for 00 S and reuse keyfob?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 03:04 AM
ASpec818
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keyfob stopped working- Install alarm for 00 S and reuse keyfob?

The keyfob I inherited from the previous owner is out of sync with the boxster. I heard it costs $100-200 to have the dealer reprogram the key. Since I don't have an alarm (at least I don't think I do- how can i check?) and I need the remote reprogrammed, I'd like to see if it is possible to install an aftermarket alarm and reuse the oem fob? Anyone done this?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Plyman438
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ASpec818
The keyfob I inherited from the previous owner is out of sync with the boxster. I heard it costs $100-200 to have the dealer reprogram the key. Since I don't have an alarm (at least I don't think I do- how can i check?) and I need the remote reprogrammed, I'd like to see if it is possible to install an aftermarket alarm and reuse the oem fob? Anyone done this?
Yes, what is up with the remotes? On one remote I can lock/unlock the doors, but not the trunks. On the other nothing works, but the LED light works so I imagine the batteries are OK. As far as the alarm, you can't function it with remote. You probably have alarm as I know my Boxster has blinking, red light on top of dashboard and on radio when vehicle is locked. Not sure how to turn it off if it should go on. I know each remote has two batteries, one for functions and one for LED light. Are these remotes supposed to be in sync with module under front driver's seat?

--------------------------------------------
2001 Red Orient Boxster
Old 06-18-2011, 03:02 AM
ASpec818
Cruisin'

Just figured out I do have the oem alarm and it still works. My keyfob is just out of sync.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Bfloeyes11
1st Gear

My key fob is acting the same way. Just bought a 2000 boxster w 54000. No service manual and not sure what is has and what it doesnt. Both keys open doors but nothing else. How do you sync key fob.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:20 AM
ChrisJP
Intermediate

look here for the manual: http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm

for the remote you might be in sleep mode.
Use the search function, there are many thread such as:
https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...r-working.html
Old 06-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Plyman438
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Plyman438
Yes, what is up with the remotes? On one remote I can lock/unlock the doors, but not the trunks. On the other nothing works, but the LED light works so I imagine the batteries are OK. As far as the alarm, you can't function it with remote. You probably have alarm as I know my Boxster has blinking, red light on top of dashboard and on radio when vehicle is locked. Not sure how to turn it off if it should go on. I know each remote has two batteries, one for functions and one for LED light. Are these remotes supposed to be in sync with module under front driver's seat?

--------------------------------------------
2001 Red Orient Boxster
After reading manual (duh), I was able to function trunks finally with one working remote. You just have to hold down button for at least two seconds to unlock trunks with remote. And correction in that remote has only one battery. As for the nonworking remote, it still doesn't work even with functioning battery. Also, when remote goes asleep after five days on nonuse, you can wake it up by opening door with key, and then putting key in ignition and turning to one position reawakens remote function. This is from 2001 Boxster manual for standard and S models.

---------------------------------------------------------
2001 Orient Red Metalic Boxster
Old 06-29-2011, 02:08 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

My remote has stopped working if I don't use the car for a week or so. I get nothing by it. After I drive the car however, the key remote works just fine for a while.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Boxster
My remote has stopped working if I don't use the car for a week or so. I get nothing by it. After I drive the car however, the key remote works just fine for a while.
Normal and the time is 5 days. The remote control standby function switches off after 5 days of no use (not starting the engine) to save vehicle battery power.

If the standby function has switched off unlock the driver's door with a key in the door lock. If you open the door the alarm will sound. If you leave the door closed and press the #1 button on the remote control the remote control function is activated again.

Check your car's owners manual. The page # varies but look in the index under 'remote' to find the page #. In my car's case it as page 18, starting with Key with Radio Remote Control.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:07 AM
98Boxster
Instructor

It never did that after 5 days until recently. I've had the car now 8 years. Now I just open the door with the key in the door. Alarm doesn't sound.

Quick Reply: keyfob stopped working- Install alarm for 00 S and reuse keyfob?