Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spongy brakes after wheel bearing replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Spongy brakes after wheel bearing replacement?

I had my front driver's side wheel bearing replaced today on my 01' 986 and after picking it up at the shop the brakes feel very spongy. Is this possible or is it just my imagination. I have been used to a touch the brakes and the brakes kick in instantly feel as opposed to depress the peddle a few inches first. Thanks....
Old 06-06-2011, 11:44 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could do that for the first couple of times you apply the brake after such a procedure but it should go back to normal after that.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:02 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 136 Posts

Still spongy after a day of driving - time to take it back in I guess. I wonder if the brake line is disconnected during a bearing change and hence perhaps a brake bleed is required?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
Still spongy after a day of driving - time to take it back in I guess. I wonder if the brake line is disconnected during a bearing change and hence perhaps a brake bleed is required?
If the brake lines disconnected you should see signs of this on the brake line connectors. There'll be 'wrench' marks, or something that shows the connectors were disturbed.

I can't say for sure if the brake line needs to be disconnected to replace a front wheel bearing.

However, if it was necessary, there's no excuse for the shop letting the car go out with spongy brakes. The brake hydraulic system and clutch system too if a manual equipped car, should have been flushed/bled.

I would advise you to take the car back. However, if the shop did let the car go out half finished I'm not sure I'd trust the shop to do the right thing the 2nd time around.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Spongy brakes after wheel bearing replacement?