Sponsored by:

Turn signals/Hazard not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Lennart
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Turn signals/Hazard not working

(Looked for prior postings to solve this, but did not find one).

On my 2004 Boxster the following has happened:
When ever i use the turn signal, none of the lights come on.
The front Left and Right lights do not come on.
The rear Left and right lights do not come on.
The indicators on the dash do not light up.
If i activate the Hazard Lights button, no lights inside or outside.

I've pulled and replaced fues that remotely match the description in the ower's manual. No improvement.
I've checked all turn signal lights. All appear to be unbroken.

It did no happen over time. One day it worked. Next day nothing worked.
No other apparent electrical issues with the car that i can discover.

Called the dealer "..oh boy, why don't you bring it in for us to check...nope, have not seen/heard that before.."

Car is always parked inside for home/work. drives 40 miles each day.

Any suggestions out there to troubleshoot?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Lennart
(Looked for prior postings to solve this, but did not find one).

On my 2004 Boxster the following has happened:
When ever i use the turn signal, none of the lights come on.
The front Left and Right lights do not come on.
The rear Left and right lights do not come on.
The indicators on the dash do not light up.
If i activate the Hazard Lights button, no lights inside or outside.

I've pulled and replaced fues that remotely match the description in the ower's manual. No improvement.
I've checked all turn signal lights. All appear to be unbroken.

It did no happen over time. One day it worked. Next day nothing worked.
No other apparent electrical issues with the car that i can discover.

Called the dealer "..oh boy, why don't you bring it in for us to check...nope, have not seen/heard that before.."

Car is always parked inside for home/work. drives 40 miles each day.

Any suggestions out there to troubleshoot?

Couple of things: Be sure both headlight assemblies are properly installed. I had one work loose and it caused other symptoms besides a non-functioning the headlight not working.

Check for moisture in the cabin. Check under the seats along the doors for any dampness. Give each dood a shake listening for water sloshing. The car water drains can get blocked and allow rain or even wash/rinse water to back up and flow into the cabin.

Lastly, do you have your car's key attached to a heavy key chain loaded with other keys?

Yes, or no, check the ignition switch. The two other things I mentioned above could account for all of the symptoms but it would have to be a perfect storm of circumstances. OTOH, the ignition switch is the common failure point that more easily could account for the above symptoms.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Lennart
Track Day

thanks Macster,

I will try that. The car was detailed just recently and they DID install a new lightbulb in the front assembly. Now that is working, but does not mean that it is tight. Great, i will check that.

Yes, a ton of keys. Now,the ignition switch was replaced about 2 months ago. Interesting, never crossed my mind that the weight of the keys was bad for the switch. Makes perfect sense when you point it out
Old 05-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Lennart
Track Day

nope, unfortunately that did not work. Checked all assemblies, took out all bulbs, checked them all for breakage.
No water or moisture.
Wiggled the, now, single key but without any different outcome.
Rechecked all fuses and all were fine.

Now what?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:00 PM
moosport
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine worked itself loose after a while..
Old 05-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Lennart
nope, unfortunately that did not work. Checked all assemblies, took out all bulbs, checked them all for breakage.
No water or moisture.
Wiggled the, now, single key but without any different outcome.
Rechecked all fuses and all were fine.

Now what?
You need a young priest and an old priest.

Seriously, let me think...

You're quite sure there's no signs of any moisture anywhere in the cabin, rear trunk even the front trunk?

Have you checked the water drains? There are two under the clamshell located on either side of the rear of the top and two under the cowl covers on either side of the battery cover.

Also, less common but not unknown water problem is the top or even the windshield can leak and allow water in that may not go right to the cabin floor but run inside the dash. These leaks are harder to find.

One way -- I don't like it but I can't think of a better way but if you can use it -- is to have someone use a garden hose to soak the car down from the outside, around the top, side windows, rear windows, front glass and you in the cabin with a bright light and sensitive hands looking for, feeling for any signs of water coming into the car.

I was remiss in not mentioning this before but what about the headlight switch?
These have been known to go bad, cause some symptoms but not AFAIK the turn signal/flasher symptoms you describe. Still worth checking.

Oh, you say the symptoms appeared all at once? What was done to the car just before the symptoms appeared?

You mentioned a bulb was changed?

Anytime anything is touched is always a time for something to go wrong. A pin in an electrical connector can break (or due to corrosion or simply being mishandled can bend or jam upon reassembly) and the result is a bad electrical connection.

Based on my limited experience (the driver's side headlight being loose) these cars have their headlight/turn signal circuitry tied together in ways I can only imagine with the result is a problem in one area can cause symptoms at other areas to appear that seem unrelated.

Yet another possible cause is rodent infestation. Yet you say you use the car frequently, driving it 40 miles every day? Has there been anytime the car has sat for a few days (recently) unused? It doesn't take rodents much time to set up housekeeping in a spot that suits them and car parked inside is well-suited for a family of mice or even rats.

Rodent infestation can be hard to spot. One thing is with the car up in the air look at the top of all the underbody panels looking for any trash that the rodents drag in and then kick of the nest/car to the ground which of course is caught by these panels.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Turn signals/Hazard not working