Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Markus L
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights LHD / RHD

Hi group,

I am not yet a Boxster owner but hopefully I will be soon

With current exchange rates a UK import seems great value for money. Problem is that UK is RHD country and I live in LHD country. This I imagine wont be too much of an issue but the headlights will need to be changed as I understand that the "kick ups" are different.

Is it correct understanding that the complete headlight assemblies will need to be replaced?

Does this have to be awfully expensive?

How much risk of going wrong is here, I mean what compatibility issues do I have to watch out for? Xeons, non-Xeons but what else.

The car in question is a 2003 Boxster S

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks
/Markus
Old 05-04-2011, 05:01 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the beams are actually slanted. if you were to project them on a wall, they will slant up toward the edge of the road in the car's country of origin. the only things to look out for are a) HID or standard and b) do you want clear or orange turn signals (clear look MUCH better).

good PAIRS of headlights can be had for around $800.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Markus L
Hi group,

I am not yet a Boxster owner but hopefully I will be soon

With current exchange rates a UK import seems great value for money. Problem is that UK is RHD country and I live in LHD country. This I imagine wont be too much of an issue but the headlights will need to be changed as I understand that the "kick ups" are different.

Is it correct understanding that the complete headlight assemblies will need to be replaced?

Does this have to be awfully expensive?

How much risk of going wrong is here, I mean what compatibility issues do I have to watch out for? Xeons, non-Xeons but what else.

The car in question is a 2003 Boxster S

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks
/Markus
Better be sure. Using a RHD vehicle in a LHD area I think would be a heck of an issue.

A few years ago UK prospective car buyers were in fact buying used Porsches, mainly from Germany, an importing them into the UK, but the UK buyer was well aware of the trade-offs he was making.

Importing a RHD vehicle into a LHD area will see the car's resale value drop considerably. Sure, not a problem if you don't intend to sell the car on or trade it in after a few years. But the market for such a car in your area will be less.

I'd think the bit of money you'd save trying to take advantage of the currency exchange rate would be eaten up by the above factors, one way or the other.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Headlights LHD / RHD