Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best HP and TQ from a 3.2L 986 Boxster S ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:53 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best HP and TQ from a 3.2L 986 Boxster S ?

So what is the best,highest, HP and TQ from a 3.2L 986 Boxster S ? Yes, normally aspirated.
I dyno'd the racecar this last week and while I feel there is still some more left in it I feel like I am doing pretty good.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:20 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

No numbers here, but what did you get?

I'm sure Harry will be by soon and give you his dyno #s. (Harry is our local mad man)

Phil
Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

270 RWHP on a Dynojet, and I still think there is a little more left in it.

No internal engine mods,just external bolt on's and computer tuning, it is not a street car so not Cats, straight exhaust with mufflers and a very nice sound.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:17 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

here is dyno run
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Sumday
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what sort of bolt ons did you do to get those numbers? Is that race fuel or pump gas?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:23 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, i've gotta say 270 at the wheels is pretty great for that motor.

you're probably at 100HP/Liter at the crank.....

stock cams?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:01 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sumday
So what sort of bolt ons did you do to get those numbers? Is that race fuel or pump gas?
That is race fuel. Bolt on's = custom exhaust,different intake manifold, LWFW, underdrive pulley, custom reprogram with a fair amount of dyno time done all in house. Different throttle body, and plenum (no it's NOT an IPD).
Cams are stock still, although I am sure that could add a little more as well. Stock motor from valve cover thru to the oil pan. Ok, it does have an X51 oil pan but nothing other than that in the motor was changed.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:04 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just curious what was your base dyno. as you know (i know everyone has been through this) dynos don't mean that much it's more a comparison of where you started and where you finished and you must have a reliable dyno guy to measure all that. any given day you can run several dynos say in the morning then noon and then night and you will get 3 different numbers. I did something similar by dynoing on a really hot and humid day and again a week later on a much cooler drier day and the difference was surprising. So like I said the numbers all depend on where you started and how closely you regulated when you did the dyno (meaning similar temps & humidity levels) the number sounds great and I doubt you could squeeze any appreciable amount out of that engine. Just as a comparison, my base was 220 RW after some mods slightly over 264 RW hp on 93 fuel no race exhaust but I did loose the cats. I decided that I could not get anymore out of it short of boring it, forged rods, pistons , cams etc for way too much money for the gain, so I'm installing a 3.8 dfi expectation of 420 FW hp from it (385 stock) we sill see when I get it on the dyno. So save your money on any further mods and transplant.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:32 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

While somewhat of a baseline was done on this car it really isn't relevant because the car at the time needed plugs, had a partially clogged air filter, and numerous other mods already done such as an EVOMS air intake,ltfw,aftermarket cats, different headers, aftermarket exhaust, reflash ECU, etc.

The dyno was done with corrected numbers on a dynojet, which I am sure as you know is pretty repeatable within a few hp. This particular dyno I used actually seems to dyno a little low in my experience which I believe is due to way the room is set up for air circulation. Yes, I can make a dyno read what I want by changing numerous parameters but keep in mind I'm not trying to sell anything here so there isn't any incentive. My dyno experience on this dyno particular dyno alone is in the hundreds of pulls with cars ranging from Spec Miata's to much higher hp P-cars, so my frame of reference is pretty good.

My goal was simple for this Boxster S, to try to build a 265-270 hp car to compete in NASA GTS3,now that I am there I am going to work on bringing up the lower end of the power curve while keeping the 270hp alone. To add any more hp at this point would just mean I need to add more weight to the car, which I would rather not do.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:49 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My apologies, I was not inferring that you cooked the numbers I was just trying to inform those that were not familiar with dyno's and would aspire to duplicate those numbers without getting your results to keep them from getting too disappointed.
Give us a little detail on how you achieved these numbers. I noticed even though the torque is relatively flat it could be a little higher. Did you go with the Technolab plenum ? What exhaust system , who's flash etc. thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

viking -

who did your ECU tuning? do you run leaded or unleaded race fuel? oxygenated? can it run on pump gas, or race only?

i was content with my 2.5L for so many years. now that i have the 3.4L, i keep wanting MORE!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:35 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harryrcb
My apologies, I was not inferring that you cooked the numbers I was just trying to inform those that were not familiar with dyno's and would aspire to duplicate those numbers without getting your results to keep them from getting too disappointed.
Give us a little detail on how you achieved these numbers. I noticed even though the torque is relatively flat it could be a little higher. Did you go with the Technolab plenum ? What exhaust system , who's flash etc. thanks

No worries on the dyno clarifiction info. While these numbers would or could be duplicated by others, I would doubt it would happen on most street 3.2L NA cars, you will probably only see it happen on race cars. Although anything is possible. The 3.2L motor still has more left in it with some additional mods.

I do plan on working on the curve still some more and increasing it, just as you stated I too feel it could still be improved upon some more. No special plenum, stock Porsche piece. Exhaust was one we custom made, no cats, headers to 2 mufflers, I believe we can still improve some more here as well. Flash is a reprogram of my own spec, done to the car specifically while setting parameters while running on the dyno and taking into account the changes I had made to the car.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:41 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by insite
viking -

who did your ECU tuning? do you run leaded or unleaded race fuel? oxygenated? can it run on pump gas, or race only?

i was content with my 2.5L for so many years. now that i have the 3.4L, i keep wanting MORE!
Flash is a reprogram of my own spec, done to the car specifically while setting parameters while running on the dyno and taking into account the changes I had made to the car. Currently runs on unleaded race fuel although it also can be run on street fuel as well.
While it never has run an oxygenated fuel I do see it happening in the near future just to see what may be left in it with just a fuel change. I may incorporate that while retuning for bringing in the additional low end tq I feel is still there and then leave it alone after that. Of course after doing that I am guessing I may need to add some additional weight to stay in the correct NASA GTS class. Oh well, time will tell .......

I will update the dyno run here when I re do it and get new numbers.

What numbers are you getting with your 3.4L car ? Is it a street car or race only ?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

My 3.4 hasn't been dynoed yet. Headers, catless, race mufflers, custom airbox, underdrive pulley,etc. Also pulled several hundred pounds out of it.

No ecu tune yet. It really screams, though. I need to take it in for a check.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by insite
My 3.4 hasn't been dynoed yet. Headers, catless, race mufflers, custom airbox, underdrive pulley,etc. Also pulled several hundred pounds out of it.

No ecu tune yet. It really screams, though. I need to take it in for a check.
Yes, I am guessing a 3.4L like that should be around 290+ hp

Post the dyno results when you get it.

Quick Reply: Best HP and TQ from a 3.2L 986 Boxster S ?