Sponsored by:

New purchase, rubber debris in oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:35 AM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New purchase, rubber debris in oil filter

I just purchased a 2000 2.7, 5spd, 115k miles. Car runs like a champ. ! owner, some service records which indicate oil changes at less than 10k miles but there are some gaps. Don't know if records are just missing or if oil changes missed.

So I changed the oil and I went through the old filter fold by fold and found a few flecks of tiny, 1 -3mm bits of soft rubber. Yellowish in color and about the same consistency of latex rubber gloves. After reading all the posts here about IMS failure, I'm very paranoid, since aparently, the disentegrating bearing shows up in the oil filter.

I also noticed there was old, dry oil on the bottom of the oil pan around the drain plug and on the sheet metal section immediately in back of the oil pan. I couldn't see any evidence of an active oil leak but I did notice a few drops of oil on the garage floor of the person that i purchased the car from.

So whats the verdict? Did I just buy a very expensive problem? Paid $7500 for it so I guess if worst comes to worst it would make sense to spend some money on the car.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by San Rensho
I just purchased a 2000 2.7, 5spd, 115k miles. Car runs like a champ. ! owner, some service records which indicate oil changes at less than 10k miles but there are some gaps. Don't know if records are just missing or if oil changes missed.

So I changed the oil and I went through the old filter fold by fold and found a few flecks of tiny, 1 -3mm bits of soft rubber. Yellowish in color and about the same consistency of latex rubber gloves. After reading all the posts here about IMS failure, I'm very paranoid, since aparently, the disentegrating bearing shows up in the oil filter.

I also noticed there was old, dry oil on the bottom of the oil pan around the drain plug and on the sheet metal section immediately in back of the oil pan. I couldn't see any evidence of an active oil leak but I did notice a few drops of oil on the garage floor of the person that i purchased the car from.

So whats the verdict? Did I just buy a very expensive problem? Paid $7500 for it so I guess if worst comes to worst it would make sense to spend some money on the car.

Thanks.
Nothing you've written suggests to me the engine's sick.

That soft rubber like material is probably some of the sealant used to seal the engine castings when they are assembled.

Old dry oil is a sign there is no leak. Otherwise the area would be damp or wet or even clean cause in a severe oil leak the oil washes away the dirt. In the latter case almost certainly you'd see oodles of oil on the floor though.

These engines are sprayed with cosmoline like material at the factory. If the engine hasn't been cleaned/degreased and they often aren't you may be mistaking the old dry oil for the cosomline that remains.

If you want get the car in the air safely and give the underside a thorough inspection with a bright light.

Look at the ends of the heads. Look along the camshaft covers. Look at the spark plug tubes. Look at the AOS area, visible from under the on the right rear corner of the engine.

Look everywhere. And then with the top open to the service position and the engine compartment exposed look down on the engine for any signs oil leaks on top of the engine.

Unless you see an active oil leak, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Now, of course you're going to pay attention to where you park the car and and what shows up (if anything) underneath it just in case.

And just in case, in the very very unlikely case, if you're driving the car and something sounds wrong, the engine starts acting up, shut the engine off as soon as it is safe and have the car towed in. I doubt anything serious will go wrong but in case it does you want to give the engine every chance to survive and be resurrected for as little money as possible. It still won't be cheap, but it doesn't get any cheaper if you try to nurse the sick engine home or try to restart the engine with the hopes the noise was just a temp thing.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Macster. I went under the car with a light like you said and no signs of a leak. Relief!

Quick Reply: New purchase, rubber debris in oil filter