Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a used Boxster a good car for a 5000+ mile trouble free drive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Dale_K
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 100k mile 2000 S Tiptronic in December for $12k and the car is basically pretty solid but personally I wouldn't expect a completely trouble free trip of that length. I've driven those kind of trips several time with complete reliability in a Chrysler Sebring convertible. Don't laugh - the trips were very enjoyable. The important thing is the convertible roof car, a sports car isn't necessary. I'm going from Arkansas to South Dakota and back later this year and I'm not planning on taking the Boxster.

I've also done a bunch of long trips on a variety of motorcycles. Most were trouble free but even the ones where I had a problem it didn't turn the trip into a nightmare - somehow you work it out and get it fixed and meet some new people. Sort of added to the adventure.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by cretinx
How's it compare to your 911 in terms of storage space?
My 02 Boxster has storage space over and above what my 911 (Turbo) has. (Now one extra downside regarding the Turbo's storage space is the front trunk is smaller due to the space/packaging requirements of the AWD system (the front portion of this that is).

I can two large but soft pieces of luggage in the front trunk of the Boxster along with my laptop where in the Turbo just one piece of luggage fits.

The other piece of luggage goes in the rear seat. Awkward and I don't like anything in the car when I park it at night.

Other assorted stuff (like a heavy jacket, boots if I'm traveling in the winter along with some car related stuff (oil, some small set of tools, etc.) goes into the rear trunk of the Boxster.

OTOH, the Turbo's cabin holds the luggage (in the rear seat) and other stuff in the other rear seat, and my laptop lays on the floor of the passenger's side along with other stuff that would be in the rear trunk of the Boxster.

I've been out in the Boxster for as long as almost 2 weeks traveling nearly 8K miles and it is a very good car for this kind of use.

The only negative is when I get tired driving I can't recline the Boxster's seat and stretch out to take a snooze. In the Turbo I can move the seat all the way back and recline and grab a good snooze that refreshes me.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:44 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

So you are thinking of buying a Boxster

PrePurchaseInspection from the best Porsche specializing mechanic anywhere close. Plan to spend $250 on learning the condition of the car and what it needs.

Plan on spending for things like brakes, water pump, AOS, fluids, serpentine belt. Maybe even tires and alignment.

My second Boxster (42k miles at purchase) needed $3k worth of work but then drove for 5 years and 18k miles with nothing even semi serious needed. So a history of things regularly replaced will be your friend in reducing your costs to get it ready for a trip.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:16 AM
mikes_996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're interested in one send me a massage...
Old 05-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Cary_West
Advanced

Message sent
Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Cary_West
Advanced

Default Update on 2000 Box S I'm looking at

Update:

So I've dug more on the $11k Boxster S that I mentioned in an earlier post. I looked through the records from the dealer selling it and it had a transmission rebuild and a new top in early 2009 done by North Race Cars in Kansas City. I called up and talked to the owner of the shop and he recalled the car -- said it had not been well maintained when they got it, but that they had done a lot of work getting the exterior and interior into great shape, along with the transmission and brakes.

Later in 2009, it looks like the motor blew a rod, and the whole thing was swapped with a drop-out 3.2 (mileage unknown, but in good shape) by Eurasian Auto Service of Birmingham. I talked to the owner there and he seemed like a pretty knowledgable guy. Said (and receipts show) that they did the motor swap, clutch, water pump, motor mounts, RMS, IMS inspection (wasn't sure if they'd replaced), and air/oil separator at 78k miles. The car is now at They offered to do a PPI for about $300. The car is now at 90k and is about 80 miles from the shop able to do an inspection.

Does this history bode well? Normally I'd steer clear of a car that had been beat on and put up wet, but it seems like nearly the entire drivetrain has been rebuilt or replaced since 78k miles, but I can't account for what's happened in the meantime. I understand that it's certainly not going to be a creampuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if I put a few rock chips in over the summer anyway.

I am concerned that the seller didn't volunteer any of the motorswapping info with me, and the only way I know about any of it is from the receipts and a bit of investigation.

I feel like the price should be lower than $11,000 with all of this, but I doubt he'll go much further. I just wish I could check the car out in person.

Link below goes to the records I have for the work done.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=COOJm7cF
Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't just walk away from that car, I'd run.

Not a good history IMHO.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Cary_West
Advanced

my instincts agree with you. I think that either my pricepoint is too low, it's the wrong time of year, or I should settle for a 97-99 Box in great shape -- I don't care if I take a small hit on the the price, as long as it doesn't ruin the summer.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:30 AM
mikes_996
Instructor

Did you got my pm?

Quick Reply: Is a used Boxster a good car for a 5000+ mile trouble free drive?