Sponsored by:

IMS failure - Which new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:19 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Not all IMS failures are a complete write-off -- but at a minimum
will require a complete tear down and rebuild.
Unfortunately you can't tell if the engine is rebuildable until
you put the time in to tear it down, inspect it, and check to make
sure the block is not damaged in any way. There are a few telling
points that limit how much you have to tear into it that will give
you a negative rebuild answer.

YMMV, but there are a few options out there.

Mike
Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

look at www.car-parts.com
Old 05-24-2011, 02:30 AM
03Boxster-S
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Boxster-S IMS blown

Hi There,

I just barely bought a 2003 Boxter-S with under 12k miles on it I drove it 200 miles after having it fully inspected and the IMS bearing failed leading to massive engine failure. I am staring down the barrel of a very expensive engine rebuild through Porsche and I am interested in learning more about these alternative options.

What did it take to get the 3.8L in there?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Boxster-S
Hi There,

I just barely bought a 2003 Boxter-S with under 12k miles on it I drove it 200 miles after having it fully inspected and the IMS bearing failed leading to massive engine failure. I am staring down the barrel of a very expensive engine rebuild through Porsche and I am interested in learning more about these alternative options.

flat6innovations.com & lnengineering.com
Old 05-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Boxster-S
Hi There,

The 3.8l engine is nearly the same size but a different engine design (newer) and has features/functionality that the stock engine controller/fueling system are not capable of handling.

It is possible that they could be but the expense and ongoing trouble if this is not done right would detract greatly from your enjoyment of the car.

Your best bet is to replace the failing engine with a new factory engine either through a dealer or through an indy shop.

While these are both expensive the new engine drops right in and afterwards you can't tell the engine's been replaced though you don't want to hide this fact should you go to sell the car.

If you want to you can get an otherwise identical engine from a Porsche salvage business and have it installed. Risky cause you don't know the condition of the replacement engine. But many have gone this route with success. Others have not been so lucky.

A variation of the above is you can buy an engine from a similar MY 996 and with some bit of extra work this can be made to fit and fit rather well. More than a few shops around the country have done this before and the results are very good.

But you start getting into real issues fitting a different design engine even though its hardpoints are the same as the original engine into a car.

But do your research. The suggestion to visit:

flat6innovations.com & lnengineering.com

is good one.

I've never visited these sites looking for any info on fitting a 3.8l engine into an older Boxster so it may not be the big scary job I think it is.

Take your time. There's a lot at stake and you want to have all the facts before you make up your mind.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: IMS failure - Which new engine?