Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Boxster that's been sitting around?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 AM
PorscheNut225
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Boxster that's been sitting around?

Hi everyone. New to Rennlist. I'm looking at a 2008 Porsche Boxster that only has 500 miles on it from a dealer. It seems like it's in great shape, but is there anything to worry about with a car that's been largely sitting around? I'll obviously try to get more history on the car, but do people think there is anything to worry about mechanically? It is being sold with CPO, so will have ~3 more years of warranty.

What should I ask the dealer to do if I buy the car. Should they change the fluids (e.g. oil/filter, brake fluid, transmission fluid, clutch fluid, steering fluid, etc?) of unnecessary?

Thanks so much.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:07 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to rennlist Nut225...
A few years ago I bought a Mazda RX-8 in similar circumstances - 4 years old, minimal mileage - vitually new. BUT, I insisted that the oil / filter and brake / clutch fluids be replaced and warranty the battery before I took delivery, which they did.
I also insisted they stamp the service book so that when I came to sell the car, the records were up to date.
Don't forget that if you buy the car, you must still break in the engine and transmission as per a new vehicle.... The car will love you for a good run after sitting around for 3 years too!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:38 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default I don't know if this is on topic...

Two years ago I purchased a 2000 Boxster with only 9k miles. It's been absolutely fine!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheNut225
Hi everyone. New to Rennlist. I'm looking at a 2008 Porsche Boxster that only has 500 miles on it from a dealer. It seems like it's in great shape, but is there anything to worry about with a car that's been largely sitting around? I'll obviously try to get more history on the car, but do people think there is anything to worry about mechanically? It is being sold with CPO, so will have ~3 more years of warranty.

What should I ask the dealer to do if I buy the car. Should they change the fluids (e.g. oil/filter, brake fluid, transmission fluid, clutch fluid, steering fluid, etc?) of unnecessary?

Thanks so much.
The first thing that comes to my mind is 'why'? Why has this car remained unsold and apparently unused (little used) since it appeared at the dealer?

Is there any story to this car? What about a CarFax report? Not 100% reliable but I'd still like to see one.

Check the build date on the tag inside the driver's door. Add one month and assume this is how long the car has been at the dealer.

There's something a bit fishy about this car. Generally a dealer will seek to move a carry over car (one that is one (or more)) years old rather than keep paying flooring costs on the car. This increases the amount of money he has in the car and unless he gets very very lucky no car buyer is going to pay anything near new car sticker price for the car.

Since the car received a CPO warranty (be sure see the paperwork before you hand over the money!) the car is used.

A rule of thumb is a new car when sold (and since the is used it was sold, at some point) depreciates 10% from the dealer's cost of the car the minute the car is driven off the lot. Then it drops another 10% every year afterwards. Assume the dealer's price is 87% of the car's sticker price.

You have the sticker and you can from this get the sticker price (not including the delivery price and any additional dealer markup) and work out the car's depreciated value.

Now one argument is the car hasn't depreciated that much cause it has such low miles.

OTOH, the car sat unused for 3+ years. (The build date will tell you how long.)

Also, there was a glut of Caymans and Boxsters in 2008 and early 2009. Dealers here in northern CA were offering these cars at firesale prices. In some cases for under $40K. ($38K comes to mind. And I bought a new 08 Cayman S listed at $62.6K for $50.6K which gives you an idea of the discount that was going on at that time.)

Anyhow, the car should have its brake fluid changed/bled and this includes the clutch hydraulics too if it is a manual.

The tires are only good for 6 years so assuming the tires were made at the same time the car was made the tires are halfway to being declared past their use by date. Porsche claims high performance tires such as fitted to its cars have a lifetime of 6 years.

The tires will have a date on the sidewall. Look at the date on all 4 tires. If you find dates that vary much... maybe one or more tires replaced and this suggests the car has been involved in an accident.

I'd want an oil/filter service and an alignment, too.

Even though the car is 'new' give it a thorough used car checkout. You want to make sure all systems work and work right.

Start the engine cold and with the A/C off and listen to the engine. It should idle quietly (as quietly as these engines can idle).

Let the engine warm up quite a bit before a test ride of around 15 miles and then a test drive of around 15 miles, following the same route.

I'd be on the lookout for any signs of any body/paint work. This car might have been involved in an accident.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:30 AM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if it is CPO'd, it could have had repair work done. Use a paint thickness meter to confirm entire car.

Quick Reply: Buying Boxster that's been sitting around?