Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Racing coilovers - reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know that you really need the camber plates on the rear. You should be able to get close to -2 degrees without. The fronts are a much different story. That's where you really need them. You'll be lucky to get -1 degree without.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The one nice thing about the rear camber plates, at least on the ksport, is that they correct for lower ride height so you don't have to run adjustable toe links to have less than -2 deg camber.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Klimo
Intermediate

Does the Pss9 have camber plates?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Klimo
Does the Pss9 have camber plates?
They don't come with them but you can get them made by other manufacturers.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Looking at D2 racing coilover struts for a autocross Boxster. Anybody using them? Good results? Proper fitment? Quality? Ease of adjustment?

http://www.d2racing.com/content/products
And here's how they look installed...
Attached Images   
Old 05-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Klimo
Intermediate

I'll be very interested to read your review of the D2s after an autox. I am heavily considering coil overs for DEs for my 2.7 and the fact that I have found D2s for less than $1k makes them almost too good to pass up. That is if they perform well, which it sounds like they do.

What's the instalation like on them? I am not very handy so would probably have my shop do it. Any idea on how many hours it takes? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

I'll be very interested to read your review of the D2s after an autox. I am heavily considering coil overs for DEs for my 2.7 and the fact that I have found D2s for less than $1k makes them almost too good to pass up. That is if they perform well, which it sounds like they do.

What's the instalation like on them? I am not very handy so would probably have my shop do it. Any idea on how many hours it takes? Thanks.
We thought they were a great deal also. Getting camber plates along with the struts is outstanding! OBTW the spring rates on them are 335 front and 486 rear. I'll post initial observations in a few weeks.

Installation wasn't to bad. We just followed Wayne's instructions on the Pelican technical pages. Fronts only take a couple of hours. The rears are more involved and will require about a half day. A good shop with experienced Porsche mechanics should knock out all four in 6-8 hours.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

took my friend and I about 8 hours in his garage with hand tools and jacks/stands.

However, we also did sway bars in the front and rear - I'd say those added a good three hours overall. Its not that hard to just do the springs/shocks, but there are lots of little things like reaching the strut tops in the rear which are just annoying.

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Don't know that you really need the camber plates on the rear. You should be able to get close to -2 degrees without. The fronts are a much different story. That's where you really need them. You'll be lucky to get -1 degree without.
got -0.6 degrees maxed out fronts and -2 degrees maxed out rear on a stock 2.7.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

Update on that D2 installation. Do not follow the communist instructions that come with those shocks. It says (in a really bad translation) to set ride height by using the amount of shock tube inserted into the hub. You will lose your height adjustment if you don't insert the shock all the way to the cast collar on the shock tube. Do that, then use the spring adjustments to set height. We also had problems with two of the studs on the front camber plates sheering off with minimal torque tightness. The metal in those studs looks very sub-standard. I've alerted the distributor to these imperfections and I am hopeful the manufacturer will correct.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:54 PM
03 996tt
AutoX

Han Solo, Any updates since the install a year ago?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Han Solo
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03 996tt
Han Solo, Any updates since the install a year ago?
So far, so good. These coil-overs have been a dramatic improvement for auto-crossing this Boxster. We left them at the mid setting on compression and haven't touched a thing. I did find out that the spring rates for them (as ordered for Boxster) are 335 front and 488 rear, which works well for us. We may look into a better quality shock at some later date but for the price we paid, these are a good deal.

Quick Reply: D2 Racing coilovers - reviews?