Sponsored by:

1999 Porsche Boxster Valve job Quote

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:28 AM
CREATURE58
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Porsche Boxster Valve job Quote

so im planning on buying a 1999 Porsche Boxster with 100K miles. the guy who is selling says he quoted for $750 from a CERTIFIED PORSCHE MECHANIC. Does that sound right. Oh and he is selling the car for $2500. It has a salvage title but due to it being stolen. I would appreciate the advice thanks.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 PM
mikstew
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think that you are going to get a working car for 2500 + 750, stay way far away. But if you are willing to spend a few thousand more for the various things that you will need to repair that the seller is not mentioning, then consider it.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:53 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Let a Porsche mechanic

buy that car as you'll only be buying into a potential constant headache.

You have no way of knowing if that quote is good, if that diagnosis is good, if that is all the problems there are, or if the car even drives reasonably. Your description doesn't sound like you know the cars and what costs versus what can be done cheaply.

I would buy the car if an expert Porsche mechanic not associated with the seller did a thorough Pre-Purchase Inspection on the car that I paid several hundred dollars for and he told me everything right or wrong with the car and was willing to give me a firm quote to make the car a running car.

When you get to a 10 year old 100k miles car so many little things can be wrong depending on the care it has gotten that you have to differentiate the good from the bad cars through a PPI if you aren't the expert.

Quick Reply: 1999 Porsche Boxster Valve job Quote