Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for reassuring me.

Stan
Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Two months ago I looked at a 03S with minimal options (basically just litronics) with 86k miles for $13.9K. Drove the car and loved it but scared of IMS problems and planned on having it replaced after purchase. Car sold the day before I was heading down to look at it. I randomly decided to look at the dealer's website this evening and THERE IT IS! It's back with a asking price $4k higher (who knows?) and 2k more miles. I'm not sure what's going to happen but I may be joining the high mileage S crowd.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stan, I posted a thread like this about 4 years ago when I had 80k on my 2000 Boxster. https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...e-to-sell.html

I've got a little over 101k on it now. The damn thing is just so fun to drive and is running so well I just couldn't get rid of it. I have had some of the typical maintenance items for a higher mileage 986 - coolant tank replacement, air oil separator, window regulator. But other than that it just keeps on ticking, the oil analysis I have done by Blackstone Labs is excellent, and I figure I'm going to try to get a couple more years out of it. I'm glad I didn't sell it back then, and with what I could get for it now I figure I'll just hold on to the thing and drive the heck out of it.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Oil test, now that's a good idea. I should find out where to have it done locally. Thanks for the idea. Can you tell me more about it, please. Like what level of what metal is normal or not. Thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stan, I use Blackstone Labs. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

They will mail you for free a couple of collection bottles and you just grab a sample mid-stream when you are draining your oil and mail it off to them. I think it's $25 for them to analyze it and they will tell you which metals are wearing and how it compares to similar engine samples from other customers. I've posted the results of my last two analysis over at another forum. Here are the links if you want to see what they look like.

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18035

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24656
Old 03-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smshirk
I spent the $ for a Raby engine but not because I was afraid of it failing. I just wanted the power.
Did he build a 2.9 from your 2.5? How do you like it?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:31 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I went to a 3.6 from a 3.2, and opted for every goody he had at the time. Since mine was done I think he has come up with more options, but I went for the full monty. I love it. It is worth every penny for me to have the car. I could never get my money out of it, but it drives like a crotch rocket and I can't see me ever wanting to sell it. I don't have that many places to really go fast, but it will go from 30 to 100 faster than anything I've ever driven, including the 911 Turbo I had. I have thought about some day, if I get tired of the car, to put the motor into something else, but I can't imagine what would handle any better than what it's in already.

I wish I had not sold my 97 and would have definitely gone the 2.9 route. At the time the 97 had 112k miles and there were no after market options if the motor tanked. Still, I sold it because of reading all the horror stories on the forums. I should have known better. The 97 felt much lighter than the S, although I'm not sure there is that much difference. I have thought about stripping the weight out of my S, just to see what it would do, but I like the creature comforts too much and it's too hot in Atlanta most of the time to do without AC.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smshirk
I went to a 3.6 from a 3.2, and opted for every goody he had at the time. Since mine was done I think he has come up with more options, but I went for the full monty. I love it. It is worth every penny for me to have the car. I could never get my money out of it, but it drives like a crotch rocket and I can't see me ever wanting to sell it. I don't have that many places to really go fast, but it will go from 30 to 100 faster than anything I've ever driven, including the 911 Turbo I had. I have thought about some day, if I get tired of the car, to put the motor into something else, but I can't imagine what would handle any better than what it's in already.

I wish I had not sold my 97 and would have definitely gone the 2.9 route. At the time the 97 had 112k miles and there were no after market options if the motor tanked. Still, I sold it because of reading all the horror stories on the forums. I should have known better. The 97 felt much lighter than the S, although I'm not sure there is that much difference. I have thought about stripping the weight out of my S, just to see what it would do, but I like the creature comforts too much and it's too hot in Atlanta most of the time to do without AC.
Thanks for that info. I did my consultation with Jake this past Wednesday and will be planning my 2.9 build soon.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:12 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

The well used 986 is the car to have not the car to fear. Sure you can have age and wear related failures...just like any car of similar age and miles. But the cars like to be driven regularly and over long enough distances to warm the oil up so a well maintained high mileage car is, IMHO, a plus and not a minus. I hear more horror stories of people who just bought a car that had sat in a lot for months and then in the first 100 miles had a problem than I do of high mileage cars that have been driven and maintained.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 AM
ppbskis
Racer

I have to agree with Mike, I now have over 99,000 miles and plan to use this car as much as possible. I purchased it as a CPO in 05 with 27000 miles on it. Since I purchased it the Dealer did the RMS leak fix at about 50 k while it was in for regular service.
I also had to install a new clutch and flywheel since I let my son use the car for a couple years and I guess he learned how to/ not to use a manual transmission. I recently replaced the coolant tank in 11/10 and front pads and rotors which had over 80k miles of wear without setting off the sensor.
It is still on the original AOS, MAF, and Water Pump, not sure if I will fix it if it ain't broke or wait for it to break. I never have any concerns that the car is not going to go another 100k miles. It's a great car !
Old 04-01-2011, 09:36 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

My 2000 standard boxster has 96k miles. i've driven it year round the past 5+ years. Have snow rims/tires and all. Its a great car and I plan to keep driving the **** out of it. I looked up the value of it now vs what i paid and i'm not giving it away. I'll drive till it blows... or till some teenager rearends me and affords my gt3 :O

Tom
Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Rodporsche
1st Gear

195000km on a 1997 boxster

Loving it.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 PM
ppbskis
Racer

Did not realize I posted to this years ago, now have 116000 miles on the same parts as above. Still the original rear brake rotors and pads too. Had a little scare a couple months ago, the CEL came on, took it to my local gas station mechanic ( I do not use him for Porsche work) put his reader on , re-tightened my gas cap and Voila, no CEL.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ppbskis
Did not realize I posted to this years ago, now have 116000 miles on the same parts as above. Still the original rear brake rotors and pads too. Had a little scare a couple months ago, the CEL came on, took it to my local gas station mechanic ( I do not use him for Porsche work) put his reader on , re-tightened my gas cap and Voila, no CEL.
My 02 Boxster is within just a few hundred miles or less from having 270K miles on it. Still runs good. I use it almost daily alternating between it and my other car. The other car (03 Turbo) is in the shop getting its RMS replaced. Should be done by Monday. In the meantime thank goodness I have the Boxster to drive.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:14 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
My 02 Boxster is within just a few hundred miles or less from having 270K miles on it. Still runs good..
how often have you changed the water-pump?

Flat6 Innovations have said that if people change their's every 3 years,
they'd have only a handful of cars to fix on any given day.

Quick Reply: 100K miles. Time to sell?