Sponsored by:

Starter or battery issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Dendrobium
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter or battery issue?

I have a 01 tiptronic Boxster. Lately Ive had a problem where the car wont start when I turn the ignition key. It will turn/crank but even holding in the key in the engine wont start. I usually have to stop then try again and then it will start fine. Ive noticed a few times that Ill turn the key and nothing but lights on the console are on - then try again and it will start. Ive noticed this more with the colder weather. Is this a battery issue or ignition/starter related? Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Dendrobium
I have a 01 tiptronic Boxster. Lately Ive had a problem where the car wont start when I turn the ignition key. It will turn/crank but even holding in the key in the engine wont start. I usually have to stop then try again and then it will start fine. Ive noticed a few times that Ill turn the key and nothing but lights on the console are on - then try again and it will start. Ive noticed this more with the colder weather. Is this a battery issue or ignition/starter related? Thanks in advance.

Mike
If the starter runs and engages the flywheel and cranks the engine it is not a starter problem.

Since vehicle is equipped with a Tip it might be the Park position sensor is not always recognizing the transmission is in Park. Colder weather may mean this switch or pawl is hanging up instead of closing.

You can check to see if this is working (sort of) by turning the ignition key to the 1 (ignition on) position. Move the selector lever from 'P' to 'D' and turn the key counter-clockwise. The key should not obtain the removal position. Release the key again and select 'P' and in this position it should be possible to remove the ignition key.

Another source of the dash lights coming on but the egnine does not crank is the ignition switch is bad. Is the car key attached to a large heavy chain of keys? This weight/movement (from the keys swaying back and forth) can wear out an ignition switch.

How old is the battery? What kind of condition is it in? Have you let it run down a few times?

You can sort of test the ignition switch by trying to start the engine while pushing the key up or over and in or wiggling it about to see if you find a "dead" spot that lets the key turn but somehow does not allow the proper electrical connections to be made.

You can have the battery tested. Test it twice, the 2nd time after letting the car sit with everything off for a few hours.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Sumflow
Instructor

Location: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Combination

I turn the key, hold the clutch to the floor 3-2-1 and it fires. It starts as long as I do not let the clutch up during the wait, or turn the key back before it kicks in. If I do I have to wait a few seconds, then try it again. I don't think it is the switch (no key chain), or the battery (no visible looseness or corrosion), or a short (no smell), or the weather (no Winter).

I do not know why it counts down. Except maybe it has something to do with the oil or fuel pressure. I have not gotten to the point where I want to rip the thing apart and inspect the connections to the starter motor, or go all the way to the other side of the island during the day and talk to someone at the Porsche dealer. Maybe next month.

Macster has been a great help to me in trouble shooting this starting sequence. At least I have confidence to turn it off at a light and know I can get it going without holding anybody up. A friend of mine said he would be embarrassed if he stalled it at an intersection. I told him that when you are in a Porsche you "do not have to be embarrassed about anything." Good luck and report back.

Quick Reply: Starter or battery issue?