Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche, nightmare and electrical problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down First Porsche, nightmare and electrical problems.

I just bought my first Porsche off eBay from FEDERAL FINANCIAL AUTO in Ft. Lauderdale and it has been nothing short of a nightmare.

I won the 1999 Boxster thinking I was getting a deal. I paid the $399 deposit under the impression that it would go toward the $7,867.00, then they hit me with a $300 "dealer fee". The seller said "It was written 3 times in the add" but that turned out to be completely false. I paid it anyway because I wanted the car and didn't want to lose my deposit.

After I wire the seller 8 grand, he says he won't ship the car without positive feedback first. What the hell can I do? He's already got my money. So I ask on the eBay forums and they convince me to I leave him positive feedback. I wrote "thanks".

The seller refers me to this shipping company ALL STATE AUTO TRANSPORT LLC based in NJ. He says he's been using for years without a single problem. I call them and they say for $500, they'll have my car by the weekend. I called them every day for a status update and no answer on the phone.

Today, a guy shows up from "ADMIRALS BLACK TRANSPORT" with my car. He explains to me that for whatever reason, 2 transport companies were used and has me sign a Bill of Lading and goes over the normal scratches and chips. Even though there's red nail polish covering up the few chips I'm still exited to drive my car, then he tells me the really bad news: It won't start.

He hooks up some jumper cables and it still won't start and starts blaming it on the other shipping company that they might have left a light on or something. I called the seller at Central Financial and he clearly didn't want to help me. He blamed the shipping company and the shipping company blamed him. I don't know why he's blame his friend that he's been using for years without any problems. Now I know I'm in some dog & pony show.

Then the shipping guy wants $550. I told him I was quoted $500 and he wasn't having it, so I got Elliot from ALL STATE AUTO TRANSPORT LLC on the phone and he striated it out, and left me the car.

So I pop the hood and get the part number off the battery: It's a 48-DL. I check the autozone website and it says it's not comparable. So I call auto zone and the representative says that there's only 1 battery for this car and it's a H6-DLG. So I take a cab down there and buy the battery. It's $154.99 with trade in of my old battery, just like it says on the website.

I pay the cabby $35, install my new battery and the console lights come on even though the key's not in the ignition. No wonder the battery was dead. They console lights won't turn off.

I crank it and the car starts right up but lone and behold: 1 headlight is out. Then I go to adjust the passenger mirror and it pops off and dangles by it's wires. So I call the seller and tell him how I fell like I'm taken and he starts playing these used car salesman head games with me. Here's a few quotes:

"You got an awesome car at a dirt cheap price"
"What the hell do you want me to do, fly over there tonight and put a new mirror on for you?"
"The car was listed as-is"
"I did my part. It's the shipping company. They should reimburse you for all that stuff."
(oh yes I remember, the highly recommended goddamn shipping company! Your friend!)
Then he went as far as to try a Jedi mind trick on me:
"The car is fine."

No, the car is not fine. I have to disconnect the battery cable so it won't drain the $160 battery I just bought within 30 minutes of owning the car- and what's worse? I can't register it with the headlight out, so I can't even legally drive it to the goddamn shop!!! I guess I better call ALL STATE AUTO TRANSPORT LLC BECAUSE I NEED MY PORSCHE MOVED!

The icing on the cake is that the car was listed for $5999 on their website.
Any help with this would be really REALLY appreciated. I live in New Orleans is anyone knows a good mechanic.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

This is a perfect example as to why you should pay for a PPI, even on a $6k Porsche.

Start out by reading the owners manual, searching this forum for all the questions. I noticed you did that for the CD player, do it also for the head light replacement. Bulbs are cheap and easy.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

I realize that now.

The guy was just a really good talker. He promised me there were no problems- and even now, he's still sticking to it and blaming the shipping co. I almost believe him, except he said they were his friends.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

If you got it for a really good price, then take what is wrong with it, learn to do the work yourself. If after adding that up keeps you below the cost of a low mile, well kept car, you did good.

Part of the fun on buying a used Porsche is the bond you get by doing lots of the work yourself and learning to have fun doing so.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

Originally Posted by SeanR
If you got it for a really good price, then take what is wrong with it, learn to do the work yourself. If after adding that up keeps you below the cost of a low mile, well kept car, you did good.

Part of the fun on buying a used Porsche is the bond you get by doing lots of the work yourself and learning to have fun doing so.
I've never worked on a car, let alone a porsche. I could change a headlight bulb, but ever heard of anything like this where the lights won't go off? What do you think I'm looking at in shop repairs?

I got thousands of results on eBay for boxster headlight bulb but I haven't the slightest idea which one I should buy.

Last edited by Diamond Monaco; 02-22-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang, tough situation. Call up your local dealer and get a bulb from there to ensure the right one. Have a friend take you. You can find out how to change the bulb on here, no big deal. As far as the lights staying on I'd register it and drive to the dealer. Hope that was somewhat helpful.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

It's really not that bad. Of course, when I first get the car and it doesn't start, you better believe I'M FREAKING OUT!

I'm guessing the bulb and the mirror are an easy fix and I'm going to attempt to fix them myself as soon as I get the part numbers and instructions- it's the damn "lights staying on" that get's me. I've never seen anything like it and it goes against all electrical logic I know.

Sure, I want to let the mechanic deal with it, but I don't want him to take me to the cleaners when they find out just how uneducated I am.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 AM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

now, I'm just convinced the car is schizophrenic.

I pulled and checked all the fuses and I made SURE I put them back in the same spot- when I connected the battery, the HORN went "HOOOOOOOOOONK!" (needless to say, I pulled the horn fuse.)

I tested the headlights fuses (A3 and A4 right?) and both fuses are ok, so I guess the bulb really is out.
Now when I crank it, the windshield wipers move a few inches.
Oh and the CD player doesn't work. The radio says "NO CD", but that's the least of my problems.

Last edited by Diamond Monaco; 02-22-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 AM
ChrisJP
Intermediate

Just in case: there is a parking light position on the light switch.
If you turn the light switch to the extreme left (counter clockwise), then the left side only will light up. One crank to the right (clockwise), then the right will light up.
Both front and back will light up thought.

For the horn, could it be the alarm that went on for some reason? Did you try to stop it by pressing the open button on the key?

Finally, for the console, that could come from the ignition switch. They are known to bring any king of weird electrical issue alive. Replacement is a DIY.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Go and get a Bentley service manual ASAP.

Start with the simple stuff first that you can do, then for everything else, search out a local, recommended independent, and get estimates before you leap.

BD
Old 02-22-2011, 12:37 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad transaction experience.
The problems sound somewhat minor and can be expected with a 10 year old car and at the price you paid for it.

The horn is probably going off because the airbag retaining frame grommets are worn out.

The headlight bulb you need is an H7 bulb. A basic Hella or Sylvania bulb is fine to use.

If the interior lights are indeed turned off, but stay on, then I would look at the door latches. Sometimes the latch micro-switch fails and it thinks the door is still open. This will also cause the window to raise prematurely when the door is still open.

If the battery has been dead, you will likely need to input the radio security code to get it working again.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still can't believe people buy cars like this esp if they don't know how to fix one.

You may want to speak to a lawyer or read the fine print a little more instead of seeing a porsche for 6k.

Have the console lights gone off yet?

Is there a screw missing from the mirror?

Have you gotten that car started yet?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

Originally Posted by eric523
The headlight bulb you need is an H7 bulb. A basic Hella or Sylvania bulb is fine to use.
These ones ok?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sylvania-SilverS...item4157046c7b
Also, know the name of that Posche hex tool?
If the interior lights are indeed turned off, but stay on, then I would look at the door latches.
No, it's the LCD lights (time, mileage, mph) on the console. The interior lights go off.
If the battery has been dead, you will likely need to input the radio security code to get it working again.
I found the code. Radio works. CD player doesn't. Not too concerned about the disk changer unless it's related to something else.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how you went looking for a bulb on ebay.. anyone else sense any irony here? cmon...

For my model year boxster, the items you refer to were part of the guages.. not the console.. I think many hear would call the console the area where the radio is, and downward to where the window switches are.

If its the guages that "stay on", I thought on mine they always stayed lit for a short time after turning off the car (but i apologize as this is from a 3 year old memory).

Sadly your buying stories remind and teach others the meaning of "caveat emptor" and "always get a PPI, or be prepared for the worst, especially on a car bought sight un seen.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Monaco
These ones ok?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sylvania-SilverS...item4157046c7b
Also, know the name of that Posche hex tool?
No, it's the LCD lights (time, mileage, mph) on the console. The interior lights go off.
I found the code. Radio works. CD player doesn't. Not too concerned about the disk changer unless it's related to something else.
The blue sylvania bulbs put out less lumens than the regular amber ones.
But yes if you insist on that color - that will work.

Do a search on this forum for headlight changing tool. It's just a socket.

The lights on the instrument panel (time/mileage/mph) are on when you unlock the car and lock the car for a little while - and are always on when you have the door open. That's not going to drain your battery.

Finally, I hope I'm wrong - but I really think this may not have been a good purchase for you. maybe you can sell it to someone else because an $8,000 986 can cost another several thousands in upkeep if you are not handy at wrenching the car yourself.

Quick Reply: First Porsche, nightmare and electrical problems.