Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P1579 on replacement engine...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Code P1579 on replacement engine...

I replaced my blown 3.2 engine in my '02 Boxster S with a used 3.2 from the same model year and just got it running and everything seemed in order during my first test runs. Initially, I was not pushing the engine to make sure everything was connected right and all seemed in order. This weekend I tried to open it up a little bit and discovered that the engine cuts out at about 4000 RPM. It starts spitting and sputtering and will not rev to 5000. The symptoms reminded me of bad MAF's I suffered in the past. I checked the codes and it showed a P1579 or Crankshaft Position Sensor. I cleared the code and so long as I keep the RPM's under 4000 it stays clear. The engine runs perfectly up to 4K, is highly responsive and smooth. I can hold the accelerator at 4K and it runs fine, push to 4200 and the spitting starts. If I push it hard trying to achieve 5000RPM, it throws the P1579 code.

I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor with the one from my blown engine. That engine was running perfectly until it threw a rod through the top of the case. Same result, spitting and sputtering at 4200 RPM. I then took out the MAF sensor and cleaned and reinstalled it. FYI, that MAF is less than a year old and probably has fewer than 5000 miles on it. It is the one that was in the car when the engine blew, and as I previously stated, it was running fine. I tired running the engine with the MAF disconnected. It still would not rev to 5000 with the spitting starting around the same RPM's. I checked the codes after that run and had P0102 (MAF input) and P1579.

A bit more info, I upgraded the IMS bearing to the LN Engineering, and upgraded the flywheel to the Aasco aluminum version with a new SPEC clutch disk and pressure plate. I am at a loss. HELP
The following users liked this post:
Vaaler_p (04-23-2024)
Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Not ignoring you but I believe you learned what the problem is so no need for me to comment here.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just to update everyone here as to the nature of this issue: there's an issue with the aasco flywheel. the shutter fingers on the back of the flywheel that trigger the crank sensor are actually hitting the crank sensor.

we're going to try to shim a new sensor out a little bit to avoid pulling the transmission.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:39 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've installed many Aasco flywheels with zero problems over the years, are you sure it's the correct flywheel or there isn't another issue causing the contact ?

Originally Posted by insite
just to update everyone here as to the nature of this issue: there's an issue with the aasco flywheel. the shutter fingers on the back of the flywheel that trigger the crank sensor are actually hitting the crank sensor.

we're going to try to shim a new sensor out a little bit to avoid pulling the transmission.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I've installed many Aasco flywheels with zero problems over the years, are you sure it's the correct flywheel or there isn't another issue causing the contact ?

i never had an issue w/ the one in my car, either. we haven't figured out yet if it just has a bent shutter finger somewhere or if the wrong shutter wheel was fitted to the flywheel. the starter engages just fine. the only issue seems to be contact between the shutter wheel & the sensor.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:38 PM
Vaaler_p
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you solved that issue?

Hello, I'm new to Porsches but know a few things about the cars.
I've recently bought a boxster s 2001 that had an engine rebuilt around 5k km ago and supposedly have not been revving correctly ever since.
Issue is 100% as described in this thread. So I'm wery curious if you've solved your issue back then.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:40 PM
Vaaler_p
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron in MS
I replaced my blown 3.2 engine in my '02 Boxster S with a used 3.2 from the same model year and just got it running and everything seemed in order during my first test runs. Initially, I was not pushing the engine to make sure everything was connected right and all seemed in order. This weekend I tried to open it up a little bit and discovered that the engine cuts out at about 4000 RPM. It starts spitting and sputtering and will not rev to 5000. The symptoms reminded me of bad MAF's I suffered in the past. I checked the codes and it showed a P1579 or Crankshaft Position Sensor. I cleared the code and so long as I keep the RPM's under 4000 it stays clear. The engine runs perfectly up to 4K, is highly responsive and smooth. I can hold the accelerator at 4K and it runs fine, push to 4200 and the spitting starts. If I push it hard trying to achieve 5000RPM, it throws the P1579 code.

I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor with the one from my blown engine. That engine was running perfectly until it threw a rod through the top of the case. Same result, spitting and sputtering at 4200 RPM. I then took out the MAF sensor and cleaned and reinstalled it. FYI, that MAF is less than a year old and probably has fewer than 5000 miles on it. It is the one that was in the car when the engine blew, and as I previously stated, it was running fine. I tired running the engine with the MAF disconnected. It still would not rev to 5000 with the spitting starting around the same RPM's. I checked the codes after that run and had P0102 (MAF input) and P1579.

A bit more info, I upgraded the IMS bearing to the LN Engineering, and upgraded the flywheel to the Aasco aluminum version with a new SPEC clutch disk and pressure plate. I am at a loss. HELP
Hello. Did you solve that issue back then?

Quick Reply: Code P1579 on replacement engine...