Sponsored by:

Removing Intake Vent tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 AM
tawheed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Intake Vent tips?

Looong winter, decided I'd have a go at the de-snorkel. Took the screw out, tried to push the grill in as described on the instructions and it didn't seem like it wanted to budge.. Put the screw back in and left it.. Should this require a lot of force?

Was looking at these instructions:

http://www.pcars.us/10min-boxster-de...ack-t3401.html

Thanks
Old 01-23-2011, 01:21 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I got my 2000 'S' about 2 months ago and tried this, since I was new to the car and wasn't familiar with all these Porsche snappy things I did like you did and put the screw back in...well I read your post tonight and decided to give it another try...well I got it out...but I was not able to free the grill first, shoot I have the thing out and can't get it completely off, though if I have to I will. Not clear to me why it needs to come off unless putting it back in is easier as the grill has brackets that need to slide into the medal clips. I'll know more tomorrow when I put it back in .

I took pictures of the 4 little hooks built into the intake frame that hold the grill on and if becomes necessary to remove the grill to put it back in I'll mark those pictures up so you can see where the grill needs to be pressed to free it from the frame. It does look to me if the grill is freed first the frame would pop out easier, but like I said mine wasn't being that friendly.

There is a built in attachment piece on the frame on the lower left as the gentlemen indicated in the photos, that's why he shows it being pushed to the right.

I know I didn't help probably, but it does come out. Now should I remove that 14 inch snorkel? I could extend it out through the grill and ram air in
Old 01-23-2011, 03:05 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
... Now should I remove that 14 inch snorkel?
Don't do it! It will make your car sound so much better that you'll use more gas!

The sound in your left ear is so motivating that you'll always drive the car in 2nd or 3rd gear at 3,500 rpm's just so you can jump on it.

Too mush wasted gas.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:58 PM
tawheed
Advanced

Originally Posted by WhipE350
I got my 2000 'S' about 2 months ago and tried this, since I was new to the car and wasn't familiar with all these Porsche snappy things I did like you did and put the screw back in...well I read your post tonight and decided to give it another try...well I got it out...but I was not able to free the grill first, shoot I have the thing out and can't get it completely off, though if I have to I will. Not clear to me why it needs to come off unless putting it back in is easier as the grill has brackets that need to slide into the medal clips. I'll know more tomorrow when I put it back in .

I took pictures of the 4 little hooks built into the intake frame that hold the grill on and if becomes necessary to remove the grill to put it back in I'll mark those pictures up so you can see where the grill needs to be pressed to free it from the frame. It does look to me if the grill is freed first the frame would pop out easier, but like I said mine wasn't being that friendly.

There is a built in attachment piece on the frame on the lower left as the gentlemen indicated in the photos, that's why he shows it being pushed to the right.

I know I didn't help probably, but it does come out. Now should I remove that 14 inch snorkel? I could extend it out through the grill and ram air in
So are you saying you pulled the grill and cover off together?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2011, 06:49 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Yup, all at the same time...but I don't know if this is the correct way. Didn't get a chance to put it back, still considering pulling that snorkel and I got to play golf today
Old 01-23-2011, 10:17 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Both Pelican and the EVO pdf say to remove the grill first using either coated screwdriver or a plastic spatula...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Air_Intake.htm

http://www.evoms.com/WebSiteUsers/ev...structions.pdf
Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 AM
tawheed
Advanced

This seems more confusing than it should.. Can it come out as a single unit or should it be pulled out separately?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Removing Intake Vent tips?