Sponsored by:

Brake light only blink

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 PM
ChrisJP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light only blink

I have some kind of mirror at the back of the parking and start checking taillight recently.

I've noticed that if I push the brake quickly, the 3 brakes light will only blink = they light for 0.5 sec then do not keep lighting while I'm still pressing the brake (car is stalled of course).
If I press the brake slowly, the lights stay on.

Fortunately, the problem goes away within minutes after I start the car, but it keeps me nervous for obvious security reasons and I wish I can have this fixed.

What should I be looking at? Brake light switch? (doesn't seems complicate to replace)

Tks for input
2002 Boxster S Tip 3.2l LHD

Last edited by ChrisJP; 01-20-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Narrowing to brake light switch
Old 01-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisJP
I have some kind of mirror at the back of the parking and start checking taillight recently.

I've noticed that if I push the brake quickly, the 3 brakes light will only blink = they light for 0.5 sec then do not keep lighting while I'm still pressing the brake (car is stalled of course).
If I press the brake slowly, the lights stay on.

Fortunately, the problem goes away within minutes after I start the car, but it keeps me nervous for obvious security reasons and I wish I can have this fixed.

What should I be looking at? Brake light switch? (doesn't seems complicate to replace)

Tks for input
2002 Boxster S Tip 3.2l LHD
Brake light switch. While you're there replace the cruise control disable switch. Both switches are inexpensive. The biggest cost is the effort it takes to get one's body twisted around and get at the switches.

You have a Tip but if anyone has a manual I'd recommend the clutch interlock switch be done at the same time.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 AM
ChrisJP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Macster
The biggest cost is the effort it takes to get one's body twisted around and get at the switches.
Yep, not that easy to access but should not be difficult to replace...
Tks for the input.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisJP
Yep, not that easy to access but should not be difficult to replace...
Tks for the input.
What I do is enlist the help of someone more limber than I.

Or I have the parts handy -- I buy them from the parts department of the dealer I use for my cars' servicing/repairs -- and when I take the car in for say an oil change or something more substantial I'll ask the service manager or tech if the switch can be replaced while the car is in for something else. I always offer to pay something extra for the labor but so far my offer has never been accepted.

The car is on the lift, and accessing that area under the dash is much easier with the car on the lift and besides the techs are more limber and they have done this task many many times. It takes the tech maybe a couple of minutes.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:48 AM
ChrisJP
Intermediate

Ok, finally changed the switch this morning.
Got help from my 13 years old daughter: after I disconnect the cable, she was able to remove the switch by rotating it 90 deg, then it's poping-out.
Pulling the new one was a bit harder.
I found it easier to be on my knee outside of the car, thought you have no visual.

Quick Reply: Brake light only blink