Sponsored by:

Windshield replacement in Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:53 AM
nosnow
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Windshield replacement in Bay Area

Driving on 880 a truck was nice enough to throw a rock and do in my windshield in. Does anyone have a good glass shop/mobile vendor recommendation? I'm in the East Bay (Fremont - Oakland) area.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by nosnow
Driving on 880 a truck was nice enough to throw a rock and do in my windshield in. Does anyone have a good glass shop/mobile vendor recommendation? I'm in the East Bay (Fremont - Oakland) area.
I had the windshield glass in my 02 Boxster replaced by Safelite out of Union City.

Installation arranged through my insurance company but my insurance company used Safelite for all its glass claims.

I called Safelite and was assured installer had plenty of experience with Porsches.

Installer showed up at my place of employment and did the job in the parking lot. Took a couple of hours.

Before the job, in preparation I washed the car and especially around the front of the car and made sure the car was dry. The glass was replaced in summer time so this was not a tough job to make sure the car was dry.

I checked the new glass over and both the installer and I were in agreement the glass was factory.

Afterwards, installer cautioned me to drive the car easy to give the glass adhesive time to set, avoid subjecting the car to serious twisting and no forego washing the car for I forget how long. (Not long... a few days? I can't remember now.)

After job done, the installer placed a length of blue plastic tape across top of glass to protect the wind blast from lifting rubber seal until everything had time to set.

The new glass installed at least several years ago and the glass still tight, leak free, with no squeak/creaks/etc.

But unfortunately new glass getting beat up with rocks and pitting. West bound I-580 between N. Livermore and Airport Blvd. especially bad due to the poor (crumbling) road surface. Almost every drive in the windshield or some other portion of the front of the car takes a hit from a (thankfully so far) small rock.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement in Bay Area