Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start of Sports Crono and Vario Cam in Boxster S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start of Sports Crono and Vario Cam in Boxster S?

Wondering at what point did Porsche start to offer the Sports Crono option for Boxster S? Also, from what I've read the Vario Cam Plus engine was initially begun in '07 but do the earlier year models have such technology? I really like the performance of my '07 Cayman S with Sports Crono and with Boxster S prices falling - well, there looks like there's going to be some really good deals on well optioned cars.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:21 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Sport Chrono was first an option on the '05S
Old 12-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

Thanks Mike. I've been surfing used car sites. Many dealers call it "sports option". I predict that in a year there will be '05 Boxster S cars at or near $20K.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 PM
tawheed
Advanced

I thought the Vario cam or something started in 03?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Wondering at what point did Porsche start to offer the Sports Crono option for Boxster S? Also, from what I've read the Vario Cam Plus engine was initially begun in '07 but do the earlier year models have such technology? I really like the performance of my '07 Cayman S with Sports Crono and with Boxster S prices falling - well, there looks like there's going to be some really good deals on well optioned cars.
My best info is VarioCam (variable intake valve timing) was present from the Boxster's introduction, though IIRC it underwent some (transparent) changes from MY to MY. (The mechanism changed and the valve timing amount changed too, IIRC, most likely when the 2.7l and 3.2l engines were introduced. Also, Porsche probably tweaked the valve timing advancement trigger point to help provide the bump in HP that occurred at various times over the MYs.)

In 2003 VarioCam Plus (variable intake valve timing with low lift and high lift) was added to the Boxster line up. The 996 NA and turbo-charged engines had VarioCam Plus earlier.

I do not know when the Sports Chrono option appeared. (I know my 08 Cayman S had it.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

So it looks like '05 Boxter S is going to be the first YM with that boss combo. Now, if a buyer could find an '05 Boxster S with sports chrono and PASM... that car would be something very special.

Quick Reply: Start of Sports Crono and Vario Cam in Boxster S?