Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, quick, is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Help, quick, is this a good deal?

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2003 Boxster S, 52K miles, with 18" 5 spoke Carrera wheels. It looks beautiful, drives, feels and sounds great. No cosmetic issues. It is also a first chance opportunity associated with an estate sale. Price is $15K dependent upon a successful pass of a dealer PPI. Second owner car, purchased at 30K miles, with records of the 1st thirty. I haven't seen the records, but will get tomorrow.

I'm looking for a weekend track/autocross car. I'm not new to Porsches, had a 06 Cayman S, 08 Carrera S, and currently have a 10 GT3, but no real experience with Boxsters, especially earlier models, and hope that IMS/RMS issues have been corrected. I was thinking about 944's/968's but like the idea of a newer technology with similar or more horsepower than 944s. I have driven my buddies 05 Boxster and like my earlier Cayman, it handled like a dream.

Anyway have to make a quick decision before the estate weenies take over. I've been pouring over this forum for the past several days and by all accounts this seems to be a pretty good deal. Is this a good price or not? Help.....quick or I'll lose this chance. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:39 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Short answer, yes. Great, fun car to drive. Pretty quick too.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Great price. I have two 986 and drive them more than my GT3.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:26 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great deal
Old 11-30-2010, 02:40 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

I'd jump on it!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:12 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the input! I think I'll go ahead and get it.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:45 PM
racer
Drifting

IMS/RMS issues have NOT been resolved. You might budget a $1K to have an LN IMS kit installed. RMS seal has been updated several times over the years so it may not prove an issue.

Price sounds fair. At 52K miles, it may need tires (eats rears quicker than fronts) and the 60K service is looming, which imho, means a WP replacement along with serpentine belts.

Boxsters are lots of fun, let us know how it goes!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
IMS/RMS issues have NOT been resolved. You might budget a $1K to have an LN IMS kit installed. RMS seal has been updated several times over the years so it may not prove an issue.

Price sounds fair. At 52K miles, it may need tires (eats rears quicker than fronts) and the 60K service is looming, which imho, means a WP replacement along with serpentine belts.

Boxsters are lots of fun, let us know how it goes!
Truer words could not be spoken. I took the car in for a PPI at the dealer today. The news was not good. Guess what.............RMS seal bad, CV joints needed to be replaced, brakes and rotors needed to be replaced, and tires of course, but I had budgeted for them.

I would highly recommend a PPI, it cost me $200 but saved me thousands. Best money I ever spent. The car looked great, drove well for the tires it was on, but there were problems lurking beneath the surface.

Oh well... thanks again for the input. Back to my search now................
Old 11-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Still sounds like a good deal !! What color & where is it ?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:47 AM
mavthenav
Racer

Originally Posted by KBS911
Truer words could not be spoken. I took the car in for a PPI at the dealer today. The news was not good. Guess what.............RMS seal bad, CV joints needed to be replaced, brakes and rotors needed to be replaced, and tires of course, but I had budgeted for them.

I would highly recommend a PPI, it cost me $200 but saved me thousands. Best money I ever spent. The car looked great, drove well for the tires it was on, but there were problems lurking beneath the surface.

Oh well... thanks again for the input. Back to my search now................

Seriously that's all and you are passing? Even if it had said the rms seal was ok you should still be planning for the ims update one of the guys here did his in one afternoon.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mavthenav
Seriously that's all and you are passing? Even if it had said the rms seal was ok you should still be planning for the ims update one of the guys here did his in one afternoon.
IMS contingency is fine. $7K for items found during PPI + 15K = $22K. Some of the work, brakes/ rotors etc. I could do myself. Call it $4K. Still that doesen't include a possible IMS.

Bottom line I think I can buy a lower mileage, better conditioned car that will need just a few K to make track worthy. For that matter, if I'm in the 22K range I'm not that far from a 987.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:00 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMS is a factor on all M96 blocks.

Do the CV boots for ~60 bucks in parts yourself, brakes at most 500 all around yourself and let the RMS drip a little oil. done.

16k car when your are done changing fluids.

That car is still a good deal.

I did my CV boots twice in the last 40k ! (left side when I bought, right side axle last summer)
Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Why on earth wouldn't you just track the GT3???? That's what it is made for.
I love my Box-S (and enjoy my 964 most), and that is a great deal on a 2003, but why wouldn't you track the GT3 and save the $15K for tires and brake pads, etc...

Old 12-04-2010, 02:27 AM
moosport
Intermediate

All these are consumables.. you have to replace them all at some point. Since you are going to track the car, might as well replace it sooner than later.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:59 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanyonBlaster
Why on earth wouldn't you just track the GT3???? That's what it is made for.
I love my Box-S (and enjoy my 964 most), and that is a great deal on a 2003, but why wouldn't you track the GT3 and save the $15K for tires and brake pads, etc...

To get a little more practice for one. I've done 4 DE's with the GT3, having been moved to the White/Solo run group for my last event. Saw 6 get offs/spins in 2 days and figured I could practice with something a little cheaper for a while to develop experience. Talked to some friends who said they couldn't wait to get out of the White group because lots of stuff happens there. I can tell you that there are some fast folks in 944's/51's and 68's, and Boxsters, so those cars are very capable.

It really boiled down to a conversation I had with a couple other guys at my last event that had a 951 and an older Boxster S. They were just track cars, but they both commented how much more relaxed they were not having to worry about cracking up their more expensive Porsches. I don't want to have to buy track insurance every DE and if I total my GT3 I probably won't get another. On the other hand, although not cheap, if I total a $20K car, I wouldn't be happy but I'd be content to chalk it up to experience.

I have every intention of continuing to track my GT3, just want more seat time in something a little cheaper for a while. Not worried about me, but others, and I think that the experience and confidence I gain will be valuable.

Besides that Boxsters are fun too!

Quick Reply: Help, quick, is this a good deal?