Sponsored by:

I'm new, saying hi, and have a question or two

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Breedoni
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm new, saying hi, and have a question or two

Hey everyone, my name is Austin, and I've had my Boxster for about a year now. I'm 20 years old, currently going to school in Daytona Beach, and belong to the Florida Citrus Region.

I've done two DE's so far and an autocross and I'm hooked! Both DE's where up at Roebling Road, and I plan on doing many more.

Here is a question I have concerning modifying your car for DE's and what not, and I will most likely won't be doing anything for at least six months. It may not even be that soon since school kind of drains your money without you knowing it.

What should I upgrade/modify first? I had planned on getting a better drivers seat, so that I wouldn't be sliding out of my seat, and using the door and the center console to keep me from moving so much. And if seats are suggested as the first purchase, what kind should I be looking for? Also what tired pressure would you recommend for a DE?

Ok, so I'd just like to hear everyones opinion, and I'm looking forward to talking Porsche talk with everyone!

Me catching up to a Panoz Roebling Road Oct. 16-17 2010

(Fathers Rennlist account)

Last edited by Breedoni; 10-23-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Austin, welcome to Rennlist. A better seat is a good idea. The 996 GT3 one piece bucket is a perfect fit in a Boxster. There are some for sale here lightly used from time to time.

More negative camber in front makes the car turn in with less understeer. What year is your car? early ones can get about neg 1.5 degrees by simply grinding the camber adjustment slots by about 1/4 inch or so with a dremel tool.

On street tires aim for hot pressure between 36 and 38 lbs hot.

Best,
Old 10-23-2010, 08:56 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I'd hold off on too many mods too early. Sounds like you've already got that idea, but just wanted reinforce it.

A seat and harnesses will probably be a good addition, but until you've done more DE's and have more experience, you may want to simply get a CG Lock for your seat belt to hold you in better. About $50 and works reasonably well.

I'd focus on decent brake pads, as well as learning to change and bleed your own brakes. Easy on a Boxster, with just a few tools. A Motive power bleeder makes it an easier 1-person job; under $100.

Stick with decent performance street tires until you get more experience, too. They give nice (loud) feedback, and are more forgiving than would be R-comps.

The best investment in driving performance is experience. A benefit of post-poning mods is that you'll appreciate them more once you've gotten most or all that you can from you stock vehicle. Plus you'll find that driver experience and knowledge is probably worth in lap times that just about any mod.

I usually tell my students to hold off on major mods until they've been been promoted to a non-instructed group.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good advise, I wouldn't worry about a seat right now, I've been doing it for a couple of years now with pca and Chin and am still using the g-lock on my seat belt, works just fine, brakes are important and good street tires, when you graduate to R compound tires, you will need to make some reasonable inexpensive mods to your engine, like a sump baffle, maybe a motorsport AOS, but don't worry about that now, just enjoy the car focus on getting smooth and getting the lines corrects.
So Welcome and remember, have FUN
Harry
Old 10-23-2010, 10:11 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Austin. Welcome to Rennlist. Great resource.

I'd recommend not doing anything to your car for the time being ... spend your $ on entrance fees at DEs or AXs. Get on a skid-pad too. Great learning experience. Someone in your Region can help you explore where/when etc.

At your next track event, look up the guys that have Spec Boxsters. They would be able to make sure you get pointed in the right direction re eventual modifications.

Whenever you decide to pursue a seat, Sparco is a name I like. With some patience, you can find them second-hand here. A lot less expensive. They make different models to accomodate different sized drivers. Be sure to sit in one before you buy that model.

I agree about learning to bleed your own brakes. Track brake fluid is probably the first track 'upgrade' I'd recommend. (Superblue is good.) Pads would probably be second.

The best student I've ever had was about your age. Good luck to you. Have fun and be safe.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:09 AM
robertsmau
Advanced

Safety, Safety, Safety. As a racer for 10 years I wouldn't put a dime into making a car faster until I've invested in a rollbar and 5pt harness. I lost a very good friend to a track incident and with an open top car you must always be concerned with rollover.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:58 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Austin
Welcome they are terrific cars. I am also one for safety but keep in mind the equal restraint requirement. Putting $400.00 harnessess in your car is more like a $3,000.00 decison:

Seat $700 x 2 $1,400.00 (some more some less)
Harness $400.00 x 2 $800.00 (see above)
HANS $800 IMO a must if you go the harness route (not sure current $)
Old 11-03-2010, 06:47 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

Welcome Austin.

I am with Dave on this one - hold off on mods and learn to drive your car. I am pretty sure that car is capable of a lot more than you are. When you start getting closer to solo, worry about mods.

Use high temp brake fluid, good brake pads are cheap, and as Harry said - learn to bleed your brakes and swap the pads - it's easy.

Quick Reply: I'm new, saying hi, and have a question or two