Sponsored by:

Factory installed Litronic headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory installed Litronic headlight problem

First my 01 Boxster S came with the Litronic option so they should self level. That said ...

When I got the car I found both headlight release plugs in the front trunk. So when the Litronics didn't self level I figured that the lights were removed and were not plugged back in correctly. I took a look this weekend and found that the passenger side was plugged in but the drivers side was not. So I plugged it back in.

I also noticed what looks like burn marks from the plug on the back of the drivers side Litronic motor cover (red circle). Yet the plug looks fine. So I'm wondering if the headlight is a replacement. I checked the fuses and both 15 amp fuses are fine. Yet after plugging it back in they still do not self level. They also do not move if I turn on the high beams. What should I check next? Any other fuses to check?

Both looked like they had missing screws (green circles). Should there be screws there?

Alex
--------------
01 Boxster S
08 Passat 2.0 T
89 944 N/A (sold)
Attached Images  

Last edited by Alxx Nova; 10-20-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

The actual leveling sensor has a link to the drivers rear control arm. The plastic bracket on the control arm will probably not stay attached again if you remove it, so try to straighten it in place if needed & or Ziptie to the control arm. plastic bracket & link are cheap so not a disaster if you have to buy new parts
Old 10-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brought it by for an inspection yesterday and while it was up on the lift the tech found what was wrong. It turned out to be the lever going to the front control arm. He said someone most likely tried to do an alignment without disconnecting it, so they broke the clip. They were out of clips (just my luck) so he tied it down for now. Sure enough they are working just fine. They scan up and down till they are level. Pretty cool set up now that it works.

Alex
--------------------------
2001 Boxster S
2008 Passat 2.0 T
1992 FXSTC
1989 944 N/A (sold)

Quick Reply: Factory installed Litronic headlight problem