Sponsored by:

autocross tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Stearmandriver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autocross tires?

I just picked up a set of 17" twists to use as auto cross rimes. Now I need some tires. Thoughts and suggestions on what tires to use (slicks or treaded) and where to get a good deal on them?

David
Old 08-12-2010, 01:14 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Tirerack.com and for autocross, slick are always better by usually 2 sec on an average course than street tires. The stickier the better - hoosier seem to be the tire of choice for the top runners in my area, I am running Michelins and doing OK - the problem is when it rains, a good street tires will have an advantage
Old 08-12-2010, 01:15 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

It depends on what class you desire to run and what rules are used.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Stearmandriver
Advanced

@harry - you're right about the rain, but I could always put my street PS2's back on. I do want some slicks. I love Hoosiers. Raced them on my formula Vee years ago.
@beentherebaby - I suppose I do have to talk to the autoX guru in my region of PCA. That will help decide what I get for tires.

Are there any other sites for racing tires? I've got Tire rack and Hoosier.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

I like the Toyo's -.DOT legal R-compound.
Ran them for several seasons of track/autocross. They wear like iron & provide massive grip once hot.
They also will get you home in the rain too!.

Rich
Old 08-12-2010, 12:02 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The Hoosier A6 is hands down the fastest r-compound race tire for autocross use, bar none.

The Kumho V710 is not too far behind it, the Hankook C71 not too far behind it, and everything else is way behind the first three for autocross use.

-Mark
Old 08-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
The Hoosier A6 is hands down the fastest r-compound race tire for autocross use, bar none.
+1
Old 08-12-2010, 04:43 PM
racer
Drifting

One potential downside to Hoosiers is, imho, they aren't really well suited to street driving. Therefore, most folks with Hoosiers are also changing wheels at the event. In 80-100 degree weather, I'd rather not be changing tires twice a day. As such, I've been running Toyo RA1 tires as a compromise between remarkable stick and streetability. I put them on the car in the spring and take them off in the fall. Sure beats twice a day for 6-8-10 or more events.

Be sure to check out the rulebook as mentioned. The "best" street tires wear a treadwear rating of 140 or more. Most consider "r" comps to be less than 140, and most are rated in the 50-100 range. no point being outclassed simply because you didn't read the rulebook.

There are other places.. I've used BobWoodman tires (out of the carolinas) for instance. Also have near me a Toyo dealer who loves selling RA1s/R888s There may be regional dealers in Florida who can help out. Maybe check out the local PCA/Florida PCA/ SCCA regions for guidance. Figure on about $200-250/tire all said and done.

By the time you get tires flown in from TR, then taken to your local shop for mounting and balancing, the costs are pretty close to just buying at your local race tire guy anyway. (not always, but usually)

For 17s, depending on wheel widths (ie, if stock boxster they are 7" front, 8.5" rear) you can run a 225 front and hopefully a 255 rear. Boxsters understeer naturally, so going too big on the rear doesn't help the car rotate.

Don't overlook the advantages of a good alignment to aid you in your AX fun!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:55 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Originally Posted by racer
One potential downside to Hoosiers is, imho, they aren't really well suited to street driving. Therefore, most folks with Hoosiers are also changing wheels at the event. In 80-100 degree weather, I'd rather not be changing tires twice a day. As such, I've been running Toyo RA1 tires as a compromise between remarkable stick and streetability. I put them on the car in the spring and take them off in the fall. Sure beats twice a day for 6-8-10 or more events.

Be sure to check out the rulebook as mentioned. The "best" street tires wear a treadwear rating of 140 or more. Most consider "r" comps to be less than 140, and most are rated in the 50-100 range. no point being outclassed simply because you didn't read the rulebook.

There are other places.. I've used BobWoodman tires (out of the carolinas) for instance. Also have near me a Toyo dealer who loves selling RA1s/R888s There may be regional dealers in Florida who can help out. Maybe check out the local PCA/Florida PCA/ SCCA regions for guidance. Figure on about $200-250/tire all said and done.

By the time you get tires flown in from TR, then taken to your local shop for mounting and balancing, the costs are pretty close to just buying at your local race tire guy anyway. (not always, but usually)

For 17s, depending on wheel widths (ie, if stock boxster they are 7" front, 8.5" rear) you can run a 225 front and hopefully a 255 rear. Boxsters understeer naturally, so going too big on the rear doesn't help the car rotate.

Don't overlook the advantages of a good alignment to aid you in your AX fun!
That is a good point about checking with your local guy, I got one my local tire chains to match TR prices and he will mount and balance for a reasonable price but its hard to find a shop with a decent tire machine that wont muck up your wheels!!! so ask around and yes it is a pain to drag your spare wheels and tires around and have to change them in the heat, next year I will get a car trailer, get my car ready in my air conditioned garage and haul it to the track, bonus is if you have a catastrophic failure (God forbid), you allready have a "tow truck"
Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stearmandriver
@harry - you're right about the rain, but I could always put my street PS2's back on. I do want some slicks. I love Hoosiers. Raced them on my formula Vee years ago.
@beentherebaby - I suppose I do have to talk to the autoX guru in my region of PCA. That will help decide what I get for tires.

Are there any other sites for racing tires? I've got Tire rack and Hoosier.
Nothing recent, I guess just google and compare deals Sorry here are a couple to get you started
http://www.racetire.com/
http://www.frisbyracetire.com/showpr...d=2&subcatid=6
let us know if you find any good deals.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I have ordered from Frisby before and been extremely happy with their prices and service.

-Mark
Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Stearmandriver
Advanced

thanks all for the advice. I've been out of the autoX / racing thing since 1986. I used to get slightly used hoosiers from the pro guys after they raced them for a weekend. I got them cheap (about $25 per tire) and got a few races on them. I had access to a tire machine then so I could afford to change them often. I was pretty broke then. Now I got a bit more income, so I can afford to buy new. I'm just not as energetic (nor flexable) as I used to be. BTW, I used to have a 1970 Zink C4 Formula Vee. Now I have a Boxster and a classic mini.

David
Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stearmandriver
thanks all for the advice. I've been out of the autoX / racing thing since 1986. I used to get slightly used hoosiers from the pro guys after they raced them for a weekend. I got them cheap (about $25 per tire) and got a few races on them. I had access to a tire machine then so I could afford to change them often. I was pretty broke then. Now I got a bit more income, so I can afford to buy new. I'm just not as energetic (nor flexable) as I used to be. BTW, I used to have a 1970 Zink C4 Formula Vee. Now I have a Boxster and a classic mini.

David
I know what you mean, both about the broke part and the flexability, three ex wifes later and 3 back surgeries will play hell with you ambitions, so I just got back into this last year but am having a blast (sill broke) Now I know why they call it the poor mans Porsche- You sink all your money into it trying to beat and beating the big boys, gives me a lot of satisfation though lol

Quick Reply: autocross tires?