Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing rear suspension leg 2.5/2.7 same?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:01 PM
GINOSMYTH
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing rear suspension leg 2.5/2.7 same?

Hi,
Would anyone know if the rear suspension leg on a 2.5 and 2.7 Boxster are the same. I have a 2.5 1999 and have just bought a 2.7 rear leg. It is complete other than the hydraulic caliper for the brakes. I'm hoping it will fit. It is from a 2003 model i believe.

Also, is this a straightforward job. Have lots of experience working on cars but not much with Porsche. I noticed the handbrake cable looked like it may be tricky and am worried about alignment. My existing leg has a wheel bearing hum and looks like it may be bent due to a sideways shunt from another car so hoping a complete new strut will do the job.

Thanks in advance

Brian Gino Smyth
Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by GINOSMYTH
Hi,
Would anyone know if the rear suspension leg on a 2.5 and 2.7 Boxster are the same. I have a 2.5 1999 and have just bought a 2.7 rear leg. It is complete other than the hydraulic caliper for the brakes. I'm hoping it will fit. It is from a 2003 model i believe.

Also, is this a straightforward job. Have lots of experience working on cars but not much with Porsche. I noticed the handbrake cable looked like it may be tricky and am worried about alignment. My existing leg has a wheel bearing hum and looks like it may be bent due to a sideways shunt from another car so hoping a complete new strut will do the job.

Thanks in advance

Brian Gino Smyth
Don't know. One possible way is to check with a local Porsche parts department and have the parts department look up the part number of the assembly for a 2.5l car and a 2.7l car (pick the same MY as the 2.5l and 2.7l cars, that is '99 and '03) and see if the same part numbers come up.

If they do...

If they don't they may still be interchangable. But you'll have to use another method.

One possible way is if you have both assemblies in front of you look at them side by side, and with a tape measure check dimensions of the various portions of the assemblies to see if you can spot any differences.

Keep measuring/looking until you find a difference. If you've measured all you can measure, then you have to look at the mounting holes for size and location.

IOWs, check each feature of the 2.5l assembly against that of the 2.7l assembly.

You might then try a trial fit to see of it fits and if it does then take the car to a qualified shop for an alignment. If the tech finds he can't align the car properly, or has to use too much adjusment... well now you know.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: replacing rear suspension leg 2.5/2.7 same?