Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy a 2000 Boxster S and have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy a 2000 Boxster S and have some questions...

I am looking at a very well cared for 57K mile Triple black Boxster S and am in the process of negotiating price. It is for sale at a Porsche Dealership and I was able to get the car down to $14,200... Is that fair for the car? It has new tires, 18" turbo twists and no exterior or interior blemishes. They said all service work is up to date and it needs nothing. The car is a Tiptronic(My fiancee cant drive a stick so it was my only choice)...

What do i need to look for in this model year? Any issues I need to concern myself with? Thanks for any help guys!

Rob
Old 07-30-2010, 12:40 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do an internet search on "Boxster frequently asked questions." Then come back if you need more information. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:01 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 74carreraturbo
I am looking at a very well cared for 57K mile Triple black Boxster S and am in the process of negotiating price. It is for sale at a Porsche Dealership and I was able to get the car down to $14,200... Is that fair for the car? It has new tires, 18" turbo twists and no exterior or interior blemishes. They said all service work is up to date and it needs nothing. The car is a Tiptronic(My fiancee cant drive a stick so it was my only choice)...

What do i need to look for in this model year? Any issues I need to concern myself with? Thanks for any help guys!

Rob
Well, one data point arrived at by looking up wholesale value -- at www.kbb.com for a 2000 60K mile Boxster S Tip in Excellent, Good and Fair condtion turns up these numbers:

Condition Value
Excellent $14,500
Good $13,850
Fair $12,725

$14200 falls right in betwen the good and excellent wholesale or trade in price.

Which sort of bothers me... I would expect the dealer's price even with your efforts to get it lower still higher than this. Either you're a heck of a negotiator or the dealer's anxious to unload the car. course your're in KS and the market may be real soft there. Today I learned that the new Boxster market soft so it follows the used Boxster market soft as well.

You sure the car has no accident damage? Have you run a CarFax report? Not infallible. If it comes back clean it might be clean it might not be clean. If it comes back with something dirty, bad, that's almost certainly the straight scoop.

First and foremost the car's just a used car, so you'd treat it check it out like you would any used car.

As for issues specific to the Boxster I would direct you to find Mike Focke's Boxster web pages and read what he has gathered on what to look for in evaluating a used Boxster.

Also, Excellence magazine runs buyers guides on Boxsters once a year. Visit its web site and see if the latest Boxster guide back issue for sale.

Various UK published Porsche mags run buyers guides too. GT Porsche. 911 & Porshce. Due a google search to find the web sites of these mags and see if you can get a back issue with the latest Boxster buyers guide.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:30 AM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

I would say that is a good price for mint car with 18's.
Does it have any other options: aluminum look package,full leather, heated seats,litronics etc.?

If so grab it quick.

I paid 13,200 for 01 Boxster S that had lot's of mods/extras including Techquipment speedster humps ($2k option).
The car is in good condition-but has higher mileage.

Rich

Last edited by RDS928S; 07-30-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:15 AM
aron in toronto
Pro

Here is a good buyers guide

Part 1
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefoc...97-2004boxster

Part 2
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/buyingcontinued

And check the CV boots. It seems like they're always ripped on the S models.

Aron
Old 07-30-2010, 05:44 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

I'd say it's a pretty good price IF everything checks out - esp. if the dealer did all the service and will vouch for the car.
I paid pretty much the same for a 2000 S with extras (like a new clutch and the L&N bearing update).
Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the car for you or your fiancee? Is she not willing to drive a stick? Just being nosy. $14,2 sounds like a fair price, especially if you like the car and the options it comes with. Has it had its 60K miles service yet? just to plan ahead, Water Pumps tend to start failing in the 60K mile range...

Quick Reply: About to buy a 2000 Boxster S and have some questions...