Sponsored by:

Gutting secondary cats

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 PM
TheDarkYak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gutting secondary cats

I was thinking about purchasing the secondary cat bypass by Fabspeed, but I seem to have a lot of expenditures going on right now. My insurance company may not pay for all of the damages that my car received upon being run into in the parking lot of my work. Also, I'm saving to build a reliable car for Lemons(either a Maserati Bi-Turbo, or an old Nash Ambassador Airflyte), so the ole wallet is being tugged in many directions.

Maybe my thinking isn't quite right, but I was wondering what effect just knocking the guts out of the secondary cats would have. If it could produce similar results to the Fabspeed pipes as far as horsepower & sound, I would consider taking this redneck approach. Has anyone done this, or have any knowledge of what good or bad effects that would come of this endevour?

Any thoughts, critique on my backwards thinking, encouragement, or discouragement or plain verbal abuse is welcome.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 08:32 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just leave it in your work parking lot over night and come morning im sure your cats will be gone.

Just kidding. In all seriousness I wouldn't gut the cats. I could see the expansion chamber left afterwords having an ill effect on the fluid dynamics of the exhaust flow. May actually make it worse. And if you do gut them and it doesn't work out then your stuck with having to buy bypass tubes and are left with cats that have no value. I'd only try it if you have a set of bad cats. You could possibly get a muffler shop to make you bypass tubes for cheap. Or sell your cats and buy some off-brand bypass tubes.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:03 PM
TheDarkYak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budmanv24
Just leave it in your work parking lot over night and come morning im sure your cats will be gone.
LMAO! I'm sure if I left it parked up there overnight, my insurance would have to pay for a lot more than fixing some front end damage!

I was thinking about the fluid dynamics of the hollowed cats myself. I'm no physicist(nor German Engineer for that matter), but I was wondering about the detrimental effects of the swirly-ness of the air passing through there. I've seen it done to 5.0 mustangs years ago, but those were Philistine acts even back then. It seemed to help those cars, but I'm sure with as bad as those exhausts were designed, not much could hurt them.

With the Porsche, on the other hand...

Your probably right. I should save my hair brained engineering feats for my Lemons car.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:18 AM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, yeah...hollowing out cats is more of something you do to your truck. Our porsches had a little more engineering go into them.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Not to mention how much work is involved in removing a 4" X 5" metal honeycomb thru a 2" round pipe without damaging the pipe.

Quick Reply: Gutting secondary cats