01 986S midlife crisis

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:23 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 01 986S midlife crisis

So our 2001 S has just over 70K and decided it needed some more attention. In the past 10K miles I've already needed a MAF and AOS, but now the clutch had worn out (lots of city driving, wife who doesn't rev match) and so it was time for some work.

While it was in for the clutch, I had Matrix Integrated do the RMS, install the Jake Raby / Flat 6 IMS bearing retrofit kit, and install the factory short shift kit I recently picked up for a song on ebay. Turns out I also need both inner CV boots as well.

Just got the car back from the shop this morning and got to drive it for the first time in a month. The shift kit is definitely much shorter... a bit notchy but I will get used to that for sure. Plus I have the peace of mind that my motor is not going to implode due to a failed IMS. Luckily the RMS wasn't bad at all but it is relatively cheap to fix while you have everything apart so best to do that at the same time.

My IMS bearing looked good but just a month ago the same shop had another car that had a totally failed dual row bearing and it was UGLY... so certainly worth the extra labor to have it rectified now. Both the shop and their local bearing guy could not figure out why they put a sealed bearing inside the motor. The Raby kit uses an open bearing with ceramic ***** so I shouldn't ever have to deal with that again.

Just had to share my glee. I've missed the Box while driving our VW Rabbit for the last month. So nice to be back in my fun car, just in time for the weekend and a trip to the coast.

Next up, fix the plastic rear window and some new wheels. Gotta love these things!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:18 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice, you should be good to go for many more smiles to come.

Have to agree, the Boxsters are awesome. Tons of fun!

What was the bill for the recent work?

Enjoy the coast trip.

Phil
Old 07-16-2010, 03:11 PM
blue2000s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
The Raby kit uses an open bearing with ceramic ***** so I shouldn't ever have to deal with that again.
The LN bearing is definitely more robust than the stock part in material selection, but I haven't seen data that suggests that you can just forget about the bearing forever with installation. LN's data sheet on the bearing suggests that it may last 3-4 times longer than a steel ball bearing. Lubrication methods and loading situations will vary this of course.

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html
Old 07-16-2010, 04:13 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I guess it depends on the definition of forever. I am thinking that if the stock steel bearings last 70K miles, and ceramic has 3x the life, then the car will be done and gone before I have to mess with the IMS again. No chance this car will get near 300K miles... it took 9+ years to get 70K, and at our current ~7K miles/year another 210K miles would be 30 more years. Not gonna happen under my ownership! These things simply aren't built like the Porsches of old.

Total cost was about $2800 for all parts and labor. Not cheap but I don't have a lift so doing most of this stuff would be a super PITA on jack stands. That cost includes the the $600 IMS kit from LN plus the removal tool, factory clutch kit and resurface the existing flywheel, short shifter kit, RMS, two CV boots, a full synthetic oil change, some other small parts, and all installation (total labor was about 1K).

The factory sealed bearing did not receive lubrication from engine oil, only the original packed grease. Open bearings receive continuous lubrication from engine oil, so provided that is well maintained, things should be fine for what I consider the life of the car. Porsche won't sell you the bearing anyway and everyone that looks at it says it is not a matter of IF it fails, but WHEN. So to me it is a no-brainer when compared to a $10K motor!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:21 PM
blue2000s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
I guess it depends on the definition of forever. I am thinking that if the stock steel bearings last 70K miles, and ceramic has 3x the life, then the car will be done and gone before I have to mess with the IMS again. No chance this car will get near 300K miles... it took 9+ years to get 70K, and at our current ~7K miles/year another 210K miles would be 30 more years. Not gonna happen under my ownership! These things simply aren't built like the Porsches of old.

Total cost was about $2800 for all parts and labor. Not cheap but I don't have a lift so doing most of this stuff would be a super PITA on jack stands. That cost includes the the $600 IMS kit from LN plus the removal tool, factory clutch kit and resurface the existing flywheel, short shifter kit, RMS, two CV boots, a full synthetic oil change, some other small parts, and all installation (total labor was about 1K).

The factory sealed bearing did not receive lubrication from engine oil, only the original packed grease. Open bearings receive continuous lubrication from engine oil, so provided that is well maintained, things should be fine for what I consider the life of the car. Porsche won't sell you the bearing anyway and everyone that looks at it says it is not a matter of IF it fails, but WHEN. So to me it is a no-brainer when compared to a $10K motor!
Just keep in mind that some bearings have failed at 25,000-40,000 miles. So the life range could be 50,000-200,000+ miles (2x-4x life). It's a big unknown unless someone does a test under the right conditions on a large enough sample on parts.

I don't know that lubricating the bearing with engine oil is better than the grease/oil used in a sealed bearing. It's different, but that's all that can be said.

Last edited by blue2000s; 07-16-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:40 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Let's hope we never find out regardless!

Quick Reply: 01 986S midlife crisis