2004 Boxster S transmission oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Arick
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Boxster S transmission oil change

Good evening everyone,
As I tried to change the oil in my transmission this afternoon, I stumble upon a problem. The oil filling plug seems to be a 9mm DOUBLE square bit. All the information I found on the net talked about a 10mm hexagonal plug. Anyone has more precise information about this plug? My car is a 2004 Boxster S 550 Spyder edition.
Thank you,
Eric
Old 07-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Arick
Good evening everyone,
As I tried to change the oil in my transmission this afternoon, I stumble upon a problem. The oil filling plug seems to be a 9mm DOUBLE square bit. All the information I found on the net talked about a 10mm hexagonal plug. Anyone has more precise information about this plug? My car is a 2004 Boxster S 550 Spyder edition.
Thank you,
Eric
The oil drain plug on the 6-speed is a 10mm allen socket. The oil fill plug requires a special tool bit: 12 point anti-tamper wrench ( Haznet special tool 2567-16) according to my reference. The anti-tamper feature is IIRC the bit is hollow in the center to fit over a pip in the fill plug so one can't just jam something large and square into the fill plug's socket.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Arick
Track Day

Hi Macster,
The plug is not the ''triple square'' type used on the 5 speed transmission. This one seems to have two square. One of my friends suggested it might be as simple as a 3/8 socket wrench plug. What I will do is take a picture next time (in a couple of days) it goes on the lift and should find out for sure then. In the meantime, through my research on the net, I found this very instructive video for the benefit of all Boxsters. Almost forgot! my transmission is a manual 6 speed!
Eric

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAl9g...ext=1&index=29
Old 07-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Arick
Hi Macster,
The plug is not the ''triple square'' type used on the 5 speed transmission. This one seems to have two square. One of my friends suggested it might be as simple as a 3/8 socket wrench plug. What I will do is take a picture next time (in a couple of days) it goes on the lift and should find out for sure then. In the meantime, through my research on the net, I found this very instructive video for the benefit of all Boxsters. Almost forgot! my transmission is a manual 6 speed!
Eric

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAl9g...ext=1&index=29
Ok. Maybe I misread the info or mistyped it. Got it from my Bentley manual. I'm on the road now and 600+ miles from my references so I can't double check... Oh wait I have a digital copy of the manuals on this laptop...

Ok the same Haznet wrench bit is listed in the digital manual.

If that's the not right bit then I don't know what the right wrench bit is.

Sincerely

Macster.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:37 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

That's one scary video right there - I'm thinking I'm sticking a pinky finger in my tranny soon.
"life time grease" - see IMS bearing. What were these people thinking?
Old 07-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Arick
Track Day

Hi everyone,
I finally spoke to a kind gentlemen at the company DBOX (they repair transmissions) and he told me the filling plug is on the driver side at about four inches forward from the end tail of the transmission. It should be an Allen plug. I will check and take pictures.

As far as your comment Alan, I agree 100%, I think it is good to spread the word out there for the benefit of all. On other videos made from the same business, they give more information about the problem and the solution. Also their advice, is once you find grease, to consider the rebuilt prior to failure. At this point, you might as well change the IMS bearing at the same time. (There is also a mod. available for this bearing)
Eric
Old 07-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

This is what the Boxster shop manual calls out:

http://www.hazet.de/uploads/tx_d3mli.../2567-16_e.pdf

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Arick
Track Day

Hi everyone, as promised, here is the picture of the 2004 Boxster S manual transmission under the car.The picture shows the rear of the car on the driver side. I added one green arrow to show the location of the refill plug and an orange arrow for the drain plug. Both plugs were 10mm Allen. A word of advice: get an Allen socket of not more than 1 inch long to remove the refill plug, it makes it easier to fit the wrench in place without removing any other parts.

As for the grease, none for now!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 2004 Boxster S transmission oil change