Sponsored by:

Boxster Spyder vs. Cayman S Lap Times

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Boxster Spyder vs. Cayman S Lap Times

Being in the market for a Cayman S I have to consider the new Spyder. It comes with a lot of the features I would want in a Cayman already standard (19s, sportier suspension, LSD, etc).

From a pure numbers standpoint, would a similarly equipped Spyder outrun a Cayman S on the track? I realize the Cayman may be a bit more rigid, however would the spyder's lower centre of gravity and lower weight more than make up for it?

Im sure they are almost equals one way or the other.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:17 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on the driver....
Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to me, if you are going to track, having a strong metal roof sure is a nice safety advantage. i'd also argue, that even if one is a bit faster than the other, so what? its up to the drover, the car, the conditions etc. Not sure how sensitive your butt dyno is at noticing the small differences to begin with.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I am DYING!! of curiosity about how PCA is considering the spyder.
Is it trackevent/DE legal? Must have "top" on, what???
Old 06-26-2010, 03:11 AM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since regular 987 Boxster is track legal at most PCA DEs Spyder would be too.

As far as a comparison between the Spyder and Cayman S it's a wash. In dead stock form the Spyder has a slight edge but in reality no one runs a dead stock car at true race speeds. Both cars need serious safety equipment and once you do that you might as well fix things like get rid of soft bushings, replace tires wuth track only ones, get lightweight wheels (hint - even the "lightweight" wheels of the Spyder are heavy compared to real race wheels), get rid of the exhaust system, replace the seats, get rid of the airbags, and on and on. By the time you are done making each car track ready they will weigh the same, have the same suspensions, have the same engines and run the same lap times in qualified hands.

Street cars are not race cars. Buy them because of the joy they give you not because of the times they turn on track. Any street car can always be made faster for the track at the expense of streetability.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 AM
GTA_G20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00r101
Since regular 987 Boxster is track legal at most PCA DEs Spyder would be too.

As far as a comparison between the Spyder and Cayman S it's a wash. In dead stock form the Spyder has a slight edge but in reality no one runs a dead stock car at true race speeds. Both cars need serious safety equipment and once you do that you might as well fix things like get rid of soft bushings, replace tires wuth track only ones, get lightweight wheels (hint - even the "lightweight" wheels of the Spyder are heavy compared to real race wheels), get rid of the exhaust system, replace the seats, get rid of the airbags, and on and on. By the time you are done making each car track ready they will weigh the same, have the same suspensions, have the same engines and run the same lap times in qualified hands.

Street cars are not race cars. Buy them because of the joy they give you not because of the times they turn on track. Any street car can always be made faster for the track at the expense of streetability.
This sums it up!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Points well made.

Both great cars.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Reading the Planet 9 forum, the Cayman Clubsport has been approved for production. It incorporates the Spyder features in the Cayman. It is supposed to be available in 2011 as a 2012 model. For me, the fun of DEs is to find another car/driver of similar speed regardless of make or model and try to chase him down and get a point by. (I'm an old ex-racer)
Old 06-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I hade the pleasure to get a ride in the new Spyder on Texas World Speedway, with a professional race driver behind the wheel. The cornering speeds were amazing, even on street tires and standard suspension set up. The balance in the car was phenomenal, and trail braking way into the turns did not upset the car. However, on the main strait where this car should be capable of 140-150mph (going CW), it was "idling" at 120mph. I asked why, and Porsche has set a limit of 120mph with the "tent" up. The convertible top is so flimsy, it will be shred to pieces over 120mph. So that means that you would have to drive top down if you want to go over 120mph. Some DE's allow top down, some don't, and some require hand restraints for open cars. So even how good the new Spyder is, it's pathetic that the "tent" can not keep up with the top speed of the car.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:41 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was at at Putnam Park last weekend for a DE. Two Spyders were there and they ran for part of the day with the top up and part of the day with it down. The Porsche Drivers were doing 135 with the top up with no problem.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder vs. Cayman S Lap Times