Sponsored by:

Tire Pressures for track day?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Klimo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressures for track day?

I have a 2001 Boxster 2.7 and will be taking it on its first track day in a few days. I have PS2s on the car. 20517 F 25517R. Anyone have a recommendation on waht kind of cold pressures I should be running? What should I expect to see after a hot session?? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Stearmandriver
Advanced

I'd start with the factory recomendations ( under th trunk lid) and add 5-6 psi. The engineers recommend those tire pressures for a reason. But they are always a bit conservative for the purpose of ride comfort. The additional psi will stiffen up the tire a bit and hopefully make it more predictable to break traction. But the only way to really get it right is thru trial and error. Drive it and see how it feels. Add or subtract two psi at a time and see how it feels untill you like the results. But Thats just what I used to do on the track. I'm sure others will have some great advise too.

David
Old 06-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 354 Posts

I start at 29 all around. After the first session they are typically at around 36.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:40 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Stearmandriver
I'd start with the factory recomendations ( under th trunk lid) and add 5-6 psi. The engineers recommend those tire pressures for a reason. But they are always a bit conservative for the purpose of ride comfort. The additional psi will stiffen up the tire a bit and hopefully make it more predictable to break traction. But the only way to really get it right is thru trial and error. Drive it and see how it feels. Add or subtract two psi at a time and see how it feels untill you like the results. But Thats just what I used to do on the track. I'm sure others will have some great advise too.

David
The reason they recommend those pressures is to keep trophy wives out of ditches. You'll get hideous understeer if you go by the sticker. It's a real shame Porsche went to such trouble to make a mid-engine car with near perfect 50/50 weight distribution, yet specced out undersized and underpressured front tires and poor front camber to ruin much of the advantage. Fortunately, 2 out of the 3 are easily resolved. Unfortunately, C&D and other reviewers test cars using OEM tires at OEM pressures, and thus the cars seem to underperform from what they're really capable of.

For autocross, I've found the rear pressures to be pretty close to perfect already, but the front to be WAY low. Raising the front pressure helps considerably to reduce the understeer and let the car handle more neutrally. I run with my rear about 2lbs above spec, and front slightly higher pressure than the rear. [This is hot pressure, btw; I bleed air to maintain it.] I unfortunately can't recommend a track pressure, but leaving the rear alone and raising the front to match would be a good place to start, IMHO. Be aware, also, that the tires will heat considerably, and pressures will rise, too, giving you higher-than-street pressures as you start really pushing the car, which is desirable. Your instructor can help you tweak this, as well. You might consider adding as much negative camber as you can get in the front, too.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

When I ran PS2s on my Cayman, the sweet spot was 35F and 38R Hot. Cold, this was LF27, RF28, LR28, RR30. These pressures are for a DE, not Autox.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 PM
racer
Drifting

Most tires like, approx, 40psi hot. iirc, the stock pressures are 29f/36r? I'd start at least 35 all around and see where they are after your sessions.

If its your first track day, there are lots of things your mind will be on, but your instructor and others will be there to get you going in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressures for track day?