Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:11 PM
gmiz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Boxster S Preferred Years and Prices

Hi;

I am considering a Boxster S, and in my search I have a few questions:
  • Are there major reasons to look at MY 2003 + VS 2001/02? Other than the glass rear window?
  • I see 2001/02 prices listed here in SoCal in the $16-18K range - is that about right?
  • Are the MY 02/01 past the years of the RMS issues and major engine work? What other issues do I need to be aware of?

Any advise is appreciated, also if anyone knows of a good car I should take a look at, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:42 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

03+ has a few more HP and a GLASS rear window. Also has restyled bumpers.

The M96 based motors (used in 986 and 996 cars for example) will always have a potential RMS issue. And IMS as well. Do a search for "macster" out here.. He has an extensive Boxster buying guide that is quite helpful.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by gmiz
Hi;

I am considering a Boxster S, and in my search I have a few questions:
  • Are there major reasons to look at MY 2003 + VS 2001/02? Other than the glass rear window?
  • I see 2001/02 prices listed here in SoCal in the $16-18K range - is that about right?
  • Are the MY 02/01 past the years of the RMS issues and major engine work? What other issues do I need to be aware of?

Any advise is appreciated, also if anyone knows of a good car I should take a look at, please let me know.

Thanks!
Don't search for Macster, search for Mike Focke's web pages. He has a good Boxster buying guide and lots of other info as well regarding Boxsters.

I don't know about prices.

The general rule of thumb is buy the best example you can afford and newer is almost always better.

I could see me owning an 02 S -- if I wanted to replace my 02 2.7l car -- but I'd be sorely tempted to try for an 03 simply for the glass rear window.

But the top shape is a bit different and you have to make sure you like the looks.

Also, the glass rear window is smaller and the view out may not be a good as it is from the cars with plastic window.

Use www.autotrader.com to search for suitable cars any distance from your area. Build up a feel for the prices being asked, mileage, condition, etc.

Use www.kbb.com to get some numbers regarding trade-in/wholesale, private sale, retail sale prices/values. Roughly a car is worth somewhere between its trade in value (or somewhat below this) to well, whatever one wants to pay.

Roughly, you might be able to negotiate the price -- assuming the price is reasonable to begin with -- down 10% or perhaps more. Depends upon many factors. Actually negotiate down is the wrong way to approach the purchase.

You want to as best you can determine what the car's worth and then start out at that price and perhaps come up a bit but have some upper limit beyond which you will not go.

You can always change your mind and go back and offer more.

Or walk away if you are at what your research tells you is the market price for the car.

Remember there is always another car.

Remember too, price is not a fact, only an opinion.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:07 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry there Macster.. You and Mike are always all over questions like this..
Old 05-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by racer
Sorry there Macster.. You and Mike are always all over questions like this..
Oh, no need to apologize: You did nothing wrong. I llike to direct people to Mike's site cause he has collected considerable info on selecting a good used Boxster and just good info on the model.

As for the other parts, dealing with the seller, and buying the car, etc., I've had some experience in this area and can offer some advice that has I believe worked well for me. But there are many ways to successfully purchase a new or used Boxster and one has to find the way that he feels most comfortable with. Everybody's input is worthy.

The thing I believe one wants to keep in mind no matter which way one chooses to go is the experience should be fun. Intense at times, but in a good way.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, that the 2nd best thing to owning/driving a Porsche is the fun I get out of researching and shopping and buying a Porsche.

All 3 of my Porsche purchases have been fun and a pleasurable experience and I believe I saved some money without much work. Now the dealer may have still made a boatload of money off of me but I can't help that, can't know that. All I know is I ended paying less than the initial asking price and a goodly amount less and of course just as important maybe more so ended up each time with a very fine automobile.

And I might add that the on-going service relationship after the purchase has been very nice as well. No matter how good the car, if I can't continue to get it serviced properly at a relatively convenient dealership staffed with service manager, and parts department and service techs that I can rely upon for the correct and honest information and trust to do a good and correct job, then I'll sell my Porsches in a heart-beat and buy another brand of car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:09 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Big change years are 2000 and 2003

and you can find model year differences here

Not much difference between a 2000/1/2 compared to those changes years.

Are they past the RMS/IMS point...no. Not till 2009.

I value my '01S at $16k or so. Perfect, needs nothing. New tires, battery, etc.

There are web pages discussing problem areas, best and worst and a buying guide at that web site. One man's opinion..not gospel.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:14 AM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the importance of maintenance records and a PPI.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:16 AM
gmiz
Instructor

Default 01 Boxster S

Well, I found and am moving to a PPI on an 01 Boxster S. The car is cosmetically almost perfect, and has all the maintenance records going back to original purchase. Its white on grey - which I know some do not like, but I think it looks really sharp.

New back window, all service done at a Porsche specialty place or the dealer. It has only 43k miles on it, first owner put 30K on in the first 7 years on so, then this owner has only driven it weekends.

I will post results of the PPI and do a search on what specifically to look for in this model.

Tires look good, brakes just done, fresh oil change, shifts strong, etc. Looks like a well maintained car.

Price at $15K (was asking $16)

Last edited by gmiz; 05-31-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-01-2010, 12:16 PM
jotoole
Track Day

My brother has a white 911 Targa Carrera. It is gorgeous. Downtown last month a white Boxster w/top down was drawing lots of attention from the pedestrians.

Good luck w/PPI.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:46 PM
wharthog
AutoX

How'd the PPI go?
Old 06-22-2010, 03:27 PM
gmiz
Instructor

Default PPI Results - no go

THe PPI was very revealing - in a bad way.

Over $4000 worth of work needed, CV boots, engine mounts, top issues, dirty plugs, cuped tires, and signs that regular maintenance may not have been done.

Bummer as the car drove really well and looked great. Owner said he was willing to fix everything - he is a good guy, clearly the abuse was by prior owners.

I declined as although everything would be fixed, it seemed that future issues related to the lack of love would come back to haunt me.

Just did a PPI on an 01 Boxster S and the shop just called, to quote "this is a really clean car - no issues at all". Silver on Red. Going to try to finalize the deal this week!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:05 PM
welles
Intermediate

Slightly OT, but while I know that CV joint boots and motor mounts are potential failure points on Boxsters, should they/do they typically fail on a 43k mile car, nine years old or no? I'm in the market for an '03-05, and while it won't be a daily driver, PPI results like this give me pause...
Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by welles
Slightly OT, but while I know that CV joint boots and motor mounts are potential failure points on Boxsters, should they/do they typically fail on a 43k mile car, nine years old or no? I'm in the market for an '03-05, and while it won't be a daily driver, PPI results like this give me pause...
The S model is harder on its CV boots than the base model so that a car needs new CV boots at 43K miles and after 9 years is not alarming.

(My 02 with 233K miles is on its original CV boots, though the tech has advised me they are very very dry -- but not yet cracked or split -- and due to be replaced.)

Also, I had a motor mount -- the front one -- replaced at around 80K miles but since then the motor mounts have not been a problem.

I would not let a bad PPI on one particular perhaps unloved, neglected car put you off.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:53 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Agree with Marc...

The CV boots and motor mounts are trivial items and made of rubber so they deteriorate over time as well as use. The 6-speed is also known to be tough on CV boots due to the angle of the axle shafts.

If that was all that was wrong with the car, I'd consider it trivial and buy it subject to those conditions being repaired correctly/completely.

When you get to a 9-10 year old car, you aren't buying the latest fresh from the factory. There will be things wrong, and as long as you are paying the right price and they are corrected you motor away happy.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Agree with Marc...

The CV boots and motor mounts are trivial items and made of rubber so they deteriorate over time as well as use. The 6-speed is also known to be tough on CV boots due to the angle of the axle shafts.

If that was all that was wrong with the car, I'd consider it trivial and buy it subject to those conditions being repaired correctly/completely.

When you get to a 9-10 year old car, you aren't buying the latest fresh from the factory. There will be things wrong, and as long as you are paying the right price and they are corrected you motor away happy.
Just so it is clear I was speaking in general terms. A 6, 8, 10 year old S (or base Boxser) with CV boots needing attention and even a motor mount bad -- as long as the mount appears to have suffered a failure due to age and not some other more direct and dire cause -- is no reason to reject a car.

OTOH, if the car has other things wrong with it -- as was IIRC the case of the car referrred to earlier in this thread -- this suggests the car was neglected and uncared for and unloved. If I came upon such a car I'd be leery of it. It may be a diamond in the rough, but one needs to be doubly on his toes when considering such an example.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Boxster S Preferred Years and Prices