Sponsored by:

Maintenance cost per mile....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Batman 357
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance cost per mile....

Has anyone else looked at their cost per mile for maintenance.

I've got an 82 911sc and it seems a little high.

Not counting fuel, tires or insurance mine is over .30 per mile. So far there have not been any big items. No major motor or transmission work just switches, brakes, horn......

The car is used for Sunday drives and autocross. No track time or street racing.

I was wondering how that compairs with the Boxter's.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:57 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on the miles driven per year to me. I had a 1986 911 cab I bought when one year old. It cost the first owner about $ 20000 in depreciation plus gas and insurance for 22000 mi. Works out to more than a doller per mi. I kept the car until 55000 mi and then sold the car for about $5000 less than I paid for it.I put in a clutch and tires plus insurance etc probably $ 3500 total That works out to about .25 per mi. .The boxster will likely cost only a little more per mi for maintanance and same for insurance. Depreciation will likely bottom out at about $5000. All numbers change if you suffer a catastrophic failure in any car the SC included,and I am assuming you are doing alot of your own maintanance
Old 05-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Batman 357
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just drive and write the checks.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:01 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

My '01S has cost less than my Honda 4 cyl over the same time period and the same mileage if you eliminate tires ($1100 for the Boxster, $750 for the Honda...I use the best stuff) and things where I gave the Boxster a better item-quality than I did the Honda (Optima battery versus Autozone generic).

The only other part I replaced on both was a O2 sensor I replaced on each car the same week at the same labor cost and the OEM part for the Boxster was cheaper!

My car has been remarkably reliable over a 5 year period of ownership. Zero incidents of left me stranded and zero cases where the car was left with a mechanic for more than 3 hours.

Now if an engine blows....

YMMV
Old 05-03-2010, 07:01 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I heavily autocross my 04 Boxster S and it's my DD, but maint/repair costs so far have only been about 3 cents per mile. I do all the work on it myself, though, so that's just for parts. Like any car, though, they're going to be cheaper to repair the younger they are- older cars may be cheaper to buy, but far more expensive to maintain. I'm sure this car will be much worse than 3 cents per mile in maint/repair when it's the same age as your '82!

Tires and fuel costs increase this significantly. Insurance really isn't too bad.

Quick Reply: Maintenance cost per mile....