Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.4L Engine Swap - Smog Legal in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:42 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not an expert in this matter, but this is my understanding from using a PST2.

If both cars use the same version of DME, in this case 7.2, then you plug the PST2 in and by following the FSM procedure, you tell the DME it's now controlling a 996 motor and it updates the code. There is no option to make any significant tuning changes using a PST2.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulStewart
PST-2s have been known to be purchased for $1100. They are usable up to 2005 so no new updates are available. So buy and enjoy.

The PIWIS replaced the PST-2 and is backward compatible. The PST-2 uses DOS for an operating system....
Did a search and found some older posts of PST2 for sale, or available, but none more recent than circa 2007.

Early prices -- circa 2002/2003 were $7200. A more recent price (I forget the year) had a price (in British currency) listed of £2280.

There seem to be at least one clone of the PST2 available. I saw a reference or two to a Bosch product that in many ways can I guess provide some of the functionality of the PST2 system. More than Durametric's product, but less than the the real PST2.

'course, I've never used the real thing or a clone and I have no idea how to tell one from the other, even if my quick research effort info is correct.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open though.

Thanks for the info.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulStewart
I am not an expert in this matter, but this is my understanding from using a PST2.

If both cars use the same version of DME, in this case 7.2, then you plug the PST2 in and by following the FSM procedure, you tell the DME it's now controlling a 996 motor and it updates the code. There is no option to make any significant tuning changes using a PST2.
If your info correct and I have no reason to believe it not correct, then it appears one possibility open to the OP is once the engine swap far enough along is to have the car taken to a Porsche service department and arrange (pay) to have have the electronic enigne change over affected by the Porsche tech with the PST2.

An hour's "diagnostics" labor even at (my local dealer's rate of $150/hour) cheaper than buying a used PST2.

In one of the articles I sent the OP a shop down in southern CA sorted all this out with the help of a guy in Germany who is an expert on the Porsche Ecus. In fact, if I remember the article this guy even flew over here to ensure the frst one worked ok and to be able to deal with any issues that arose as the car initially driven and used.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The PST2 told the 7.8 DME in my 1998 that it was running a 3.6 996 motor. Works great no other code flashes were needed.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:16 AM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightning MO
I am thinking about putting a '00-'01 DME ME7.2 VarioCam 3.4l engine in an '01 Boxster S (which is also a DME ME7.2 VarioCam engine) and retaining the Boxster's ECU.

Also, any guys out there who have tried this WITHOUT re-flashing the ECU? If that didn't work, what ECU shops have a program that doesn't require a MAF piggy-back box?
It will run great as long as you don't change MAF housing.

Quick Reply: 3.4L Engine Swap - Smog Legal in CA?