Sponsored by:

Brake Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:40 PM
bic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Problem

I have an '01 986S and have noticed that my brake lights only come on during a small fraction of the pedal range. That is, if I lightly depress the brake pedal, they won't come on....then they'll come on briefly as I press a bit harder....and if I press even harder, down to the floor, they go off again. I'd say they only work for about 20% of the brake pedal's range of travel.

Before I get it checked out, does anybody have an idea as to what could be causing this? Can I fix it myself? What kind of work does it entail an how much should I expect to pay if I take it to a shop/dealership?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bic
I have an '01 986S and have noticed that my brake lights only come on during a small fraction of the pedal range. That is, if I lightly depress the brake pedal, they won't come on....then they'll come on briefly as I press a bit harder....and if I press even harder, down to the floor, they go off again. I'd say they only work for about 20% of the brake pedal's range of travel.

Before I get it checked out, does anybody have an idea as to what could be causing this? Can I fix it myself? What kind of work does it entail an how much should I expect to pay if I take it to a shop/dealership?
My 02 had same symptom. Brake light switch worn out. It is a DIY project if you can stand on your hand in the car and work upside down. (Exaggerating slightly.)

While you're "there" get new clutch interlock switch and clutch/cruise control safety switch and replace those switches at the same time. They're relatively inexpensive and you only have to kill your back once...

Actually, I think I had the tech at the dealer replace these and he did it when I had the car in for something else (new ignition switch?) and there was no labor charge.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 PM
bic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice!

Just to confirm before I order anything, is this the part that I likely need?

Brake Light Switch at Pedal
Old 03-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by bic
Thanks for the advice!

Just to confirm before I order anything, is this the part that I likely need?

Brake Light Switch at Pedal
Looks like it. I have the old one out and disassembled on my desk at work but I'm at home.

I've been advised by my local Porsche dealer parts manager to always order parts using the car's VIN. I guess Porsche uses the VIN to connect parts numbers to cars.

But in this case the part pictured looks like the right one, or make that it looks like the one the tech removed from my 02 Boxster and it looks like the new one I bought and had laying around for some time waiting for the time to install it but never getting around to it and instead having the switch installed by tech when I had car in for some other work. Since I bought the part from this dealer there was no objection from the service side on installing the part.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Wait here's pic I took of old one:

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM
deptotpr
Racer