Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Boxster engine failure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that looks like metal matrix composite material from the cylinder wall. me thinks you have D-Chunk failure.

on another note, i really like your support brace / tool for lowering the motor. got drawings / dimensions on that bad boy? getting ready to do a swap myself....
Old 03-22-2010, 01:07 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just spit that engine brace out using a tape measure, but if you would like I could whip up some CAD drawings for you.

Are you doing a 911 motor swap? Because I'm working on designing a bunch of parts to get the job done and could probably give them to you at cost if you wanted to beta test.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:40 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Macster, here's another picture.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by budmanv24
I just spit that engine brace out using a tape measure, but if you would like I could whip up some CAD drawings for you.

Are you doing a 911 motor swap? Because I'm working on designing a bunch of parts to get the job done and could probably give them to you at cost if you wanted to beta test.
911 swap indeed. depending on what you're making, i may be interested. i will be doing a 3.4L with a few upgrades for longevity: Upgraded IMS from Raby, 2L accusump, center radiator, etc.

did you actually use that brace to lower the motor, or just stabilize it?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:44 AM
budmanv24
Instructor

I used the brace to stabilize and lower the motor although I placed a jack under the car to support some of the load. I was too lazy to go to the metal yard and get the proper sized cross bars to fully support the weight of the motor. Should of been (2) 1x2 pieces of rectangular steel chanel. How soon were you wanting to do this because I could even double check the strength using 1x2's through my cad software.

The first parts I was planning on making were a spacer kit. And unlike the FVD one, it wouldn't cost $1000. Plus it would be a stronger design anyways. I also have a 911 diameter maf housing in the works, cold air intake, braided fuel line extension, and some other ideas.

Looks like you're headed in the right direction. I already did the LN Engineering ims retrofit kit and will be doing the third radiator as soon as I deem necessary due to the weather warming up enough.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Interesting thread. I'm looking forward to seeing the cause of the damage.

I'm considering the bigger six swap also. Are you leaning toward an upgrade, or a repair?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 AM
budmanv24
Instructor

3.4L 996 non e-gas motor. Everything is swapped over on the motor and tomorrow I'll throw on the new clutch, bolt up the transmission, and start to get the 3.4L into the car. I'm simultaneously designing several parts to make this a direct bolt in swap. Currently no one offers quite all the pieces and what is out there is outrageously expensive. I probably won't dive into that 2.5L for a while because I have a bunch of other things going on right now.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:50 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you going to upgrade the IMS bearing before installing? Nows the time. Would be nice to eliminate that worry. Then you'll just have to worry about the cylinders D-chunking.

That Boxster is going to be an animal with that 3.4 wedged in there. Wish I could got a ride when it's all done!

Good luck!

Phil
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Yep, first thing that was done to the motor was the LN Engineering dual row ims retrofit. Old ims vpbearing was fine with 55k miles on it but it's a nice piece of mind.

I already found the motor for my next boxster...Ruf 996 GT3 spec engine. Can't go wrong with 385hp in a boxster. Now I just need to find an e-gas 986.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:17 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

sounds slick; keep us posted. i'll probably start on my swap sometime this summer. still sourcing a 3.4L; i'll take my time & get the right motor at the right price.

I used the brace to stabilize and lower the motor although I placed a jack under the car to support some of the load. I was too lazy to go to the metal yard and get the proper sized cross bars to fully support the weight of the motor. Should of been (2) 1x2 pieces of rectangular steel chanel. How soon were you wanting to do this because I could even double check the strength using 1x2's through my cad software.

The first parts I was planning on making were a spacer kit. And unlike the FVD one, it wouldn't cost $1000. Plus it would be a stronger design anyways. I also have a 911 diameter maf housing in the works, cold air intake, braided fuel line extension, and some other ideas.

Looks like you're headed in the right direction. I already did the LN Engineering ims retrofit kit and will be doing the third radiator as soon as I deem necessary due to the weather warming up enough.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:44 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Thought I'd post some pics of the car since I haven't done that yet. Here's the day i bought her:

Here's where we sit right now. Working on the intake tubing and waiting for fuel lines and fittings to arrive. Hopefully she"ll be running Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:51 AM
budmanv24
Instructor

Well, finally got everything ironed out and running well. Needless to say the power is extremely impressive and I'm still running the stock intake manifold, exhaust,. and ecu. Had to chase a few misfires related to a cracked spark plug and a bad plug cap only to bust the bushings in my shifter yesterday . If anyone has any questions regarding 3.4L conversions and the swap into the Boxster feel free to pm me.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Congrats on the swap!

I did the fan mod two weeks ago and found it to be better than installing a third radiator. Being manually able to switch on the radiator fans is more effective than an extra radiator when in stop and go traffic. A switch cost me $5 at radio shack and some wires.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ittle-hot.html

Post #11

https://rennlist.com/forums/5456771-post11.html
Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
budb3
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish you would finish that car so I don't have to track my 911S anymore

DAD
Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 AM
budmanv24
Instructor

Finally got everything squared away a week or so ago and have just been fixing small issues lately. I got to take the car out on the track yesterday and it ran pretty well. My instructor asked me "This isnt a stock boxster or Boxster S is it? Because when you get on the gas this thing goes." Hopefully here in the next week or so I'll get the ecu flashed and drop some headers and cats on it and I'll put the car on the dyno to see how it does. Here's two pictures of the finished engine bay and the car once I cleaned it all up. Amazing how much better a car looks once 2 yrs of dirt are scrubbed off. I definitely found a hard boiled egg under the passenger seat among other things and $5.27 worth of change UNDER the center console.

Quick Reply: 1999 Boxster engine failure?