Sponsored by:

Center of Gravity 986/987

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Center of Gravity 986/987

I was reading about the Lexus LFA supercar where they were touting a ~17" high center of gravity and how it was very good.

That got me thinking about the center of gravity of a Boxster however I couldn't find a number online. Anyone have an idea how well the boxster stacks up? I would guess very well given the flat-6.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Tough one to answer right? I still couldn't find the numbers after searching another 10min...
Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Type_LT
I was reading about the Lexus LFA supercar where they were touting a ~17" high center of gravity and how it was very good.

That got me thinking about the center of gravity of a Boxster however I couldn't find a number online. Anyone have an idea how well the boxster stacks up? I would guess very well given the flat-6.
I have no specific numbers for the Boxster's CG but it probably doesn't compare well to the Lexus LFA and its 17" high CG.

The LFA is a supercar and is a much newer design so attention and money can be expended to do whatever the designers think the car needs and apparently a 17" high CG was deemed a need.

The Boxster's flat 6 engine doesn't sit all that low cause the engine's quite wide and for a flat 6 tall.

Lack of dry sump means the oil sump under the engine causes the engine to be mounted higher. Another factor is the IMS that sits under the crankshaft. And then the size/diameter of the clutch. Remember the Carrera GT came with a very small diameter clutch which allowed the car designers to lower the engine in the car to lower the car's CG.

However, the Boxster's pretty light up high -- soft top and for the pre-2003 cars a plastic rear window -- and that helps to lower the car's CG.

And finally anyone who's driven a Boxster knows it is no slouch when it comes to handling and while the car almost certainly doesn't have a 17" high CG wherever it is it is at a good place.

Sincerely,

Macster
Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 PM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like it would be easy to measure the CG. Just get a two by four and tip the car on its side balancing the door on the 2x4. Then just measure from the 2x4 to the bottom of a wheel. Easy! Why doesn't someone do it and let us know.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Macster,

I forgot that the engine isn't dry sump, that makes a pretty big difference on how low you can go. We can however compensate by sitting low in the seat, right? Haha

00r101, Sure I'll just go out and do that when it warms up outside. If someone has a pre-wrecked Boxster maybe they would be kind enough to try Seriously though you could probably mount an accelerometer or two at different vertical locations to get this data, too bad I don't have a couple handy...
Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 AM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Type LT. As you know, I was joking. But, I would guess that you could do it with a rotisserie machine that's available at a restoration shop.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

00r101,

I'm tempted to photoshop/Gimp that rotisserie idea...

Quick Reply: Center of Gravity 986/987