Sponsored by:

Boxster S for NASA GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boxster S for NASA GTS

What do you think I should target with it ?
GTS2 ? GTS3 ? GTS4 ?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
What do you think I should target with it ?
GTS2 ? GTS3 ? GTS4 ?

Have you asked this question in the racing forum?

I think you'll find better informed answers to this over there.

Phil
Old 02-01-2010, 12:52 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How much do you want to spend?

You know about GTS so you know it all hp/weight so you can pretty much make a Boxster S run in any of those classes. Probably even competitivly given the right mods. Each class can probably generate 2-3 "winning" combos, but at different build and operating points (ie different motors).

So start with the motor? Which year and how much do you want to mod. Then probably get and idea of stripping as much as you can an figure weight. From there see where you end up class wise and decide if you want adjust it or move up/down.

Or you could pick the class and build the boxster it takes to get the job done.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Rolling art - good point I will post it over there.

M758 - I'm really just curious to see what others think I should do with it, or what others would do if they were doing it. I am pretty familiar with the GTS rules and have my thoughts.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:57 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am faimilar with GTS rules as well. I can think of a number of ideas, but in the end budget is the constraint. What would be fun? Stuffa 3.6 GT3 motor in the boxster and make it superlight. Then probably run GTS5 with he big boys. I think we well done boxster chassis can surpase a 911 chassis.

However given more modest budgest I would probably look at stripped as much as reasonalbe without getting to expensive then figuring which engine spec gets me as close to the HP/weight ratio limit. Then spend $$$$$ on chassis and tires to make thing work with a eye torwards lighter/less power vs heavier and more power in an effort to control costs. It might verywell fall on the split between GTS3 and GTS2. Which class I choose would then be driven by the local compeition in class. Still the lighter the more fun to drive as least from my standpoint. I personally find it pointless to race car near factory weight if i have reasonable options to run the car hundreds of pounds lighter. (clearly not in the same class, but the next class up or so).
Old 02-01-2010, 04:51 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Personally I agree with you, it will be lightened for sure.
Hp ? No GT3 engine in this, it already came with a fairly new box stock 3.2 Boxster S motor so no reason to get rid of it.

Oh, and budget will be quite reasonable. No money trees around here.

Originally Posted by M758
I am faimilar with GTS rules as well. I can think of a number of ideas, but in the end budget is the constraint. What would be fun? Stuffa 3.6 GT3 motor in the boxster and make it superlight. Then probably run GTS5 with he big boys. I think we well done boxster chassis can surpase a 911 chassis.

However given more modest budgest I would probably look at stripped as much as reasonalbe without getting to expensive then figuring which engine spec gets me as close to the HP/weight ratio limit. Then spend $$$$$ on chassis and tires to make thing work with a eye torwards lighter/less power vs heavier and more power in an effort to control costs. It might verywell fall on the split between GTS3 and GTS2. Which class I choose would then be driven by the local compeition in class. Still the lighter the more fun to drive as least from my standpoint. I personally find it pointless to race car near factory weight if i have reasonable options to run the car hundreds of pounds lighter. (clearly not in the same class, but the next class up or so).

Quick Reply: Boxster S for NASA GTS