Sponsored by:

Hello & litronic downgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 03:46 PM
ggoodwin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hello & litronic downgrade question

Hi, we have crossed over from air-cooled world (964 forum) to water cooled, adding a 2001 Boxster S to our fleet. I still have the 964 too.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Zt3oBgkIEjA/S0...Purchase_A.jpg

The car has some cosmetic damage to the front and back, which is easily repaired, and then we'll being kitting it out primarily for tracks days.

I want to cash in some of the luxury factory options to fund other upgrades. Is downgrading the factory litronic lighting with std units a go-er? Is this as simple as swapping over the units and connectors? There is lots of upgrade kit how-to's about but nothing on the reverse.

Also - as for the re-sale of my factory litronic units, do these offer the same upgrade path as the kit you can buy or is there more to it than that?

many thanks

Garry
Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Garry, I know for sure the 99-01 prefacelift 996's that share the same lights as the 986's they are direct swap plug and play. On the 02+ facelift 996's they require a significant amount of work (wiring, shim on control arm, etc). I can't imagine there would be any difference between the 97-01 986 and the 99-01 996. I'd wait for another confirmation from the guys here to verify my assumption.

You could probably pick up a set of standards for very cheap and make some decent cash with the sale of the litronics.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could very well be intersted in the swap. I have standard non-Litronics in my 2001 S. They work great but the lenses are starting to yellow a bit but they would be great for basic track use. I do think the ballasts are different in addition to the projector housings. But you know they would work as they are they same year.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM
blue2000s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
I could very well be intersted in the swap. I have standard non-Litronics in my 2001 S. They work great but the lenses are starting to yellow a bit but they would be great for basic track use. I do think the ballasts are different in addition to the projector housings. But you know they would work as they are they same year.
I assume Porsche set up the light pattern to be specific to the LHD or RHD cars, like all the other manufacturers do. If so the OP would need to swap with another RHD car.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:32 PM
ggoodwin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And one in the same country otherwise, I think postage would kill the deal...
thanks for the confrmation of simplicity of the swap though.

Garry
Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys caught me... didn't even notice he was in London!

I am coming to the continent in May but that still might be a bit much

Quick Reply: Hello & litronic downgrade question