3.4L 00 S swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:33 AM
00Coupe
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 3.4L 00 S swap?

Hello,

I have a chance to pick up a 2000 Boxster S , 6speed, with a blown engine. In the past little while I have been doing a little research about the 3.4L engine without electronic throttle control (1999). The question I have is what needs to be changed to fit this motor? I read about possibly spacing the motor down to clear the intake as well as reprogramming the ECU.. How does the transmission bolt up to the 911 engine? I would be doing all the work myself, so I just want to get as much info as possible before taking the plunge. If someone has a link to a complete thread of the swap that would be great..I have not been able to find one..

Thanks for any input..
Old 12-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Coupe
Hello,

I have a chance to pick up a 2000 Boxster S , 6speed, with a blown engine. In the past little while I have been doing a little research about the 3.4L engine without electronic throttle control (1999). The question I have is what needs to be changed to fit this motor? I read about possibly spacing the motor down to clear the intake as well as reprogramming the ECU.. How does the transmission bolt up to the 911 engine? I would be doing all the work myself, so I just want to get as much info as possible before taking the plunge. If someone has a link to a complete thread of the swap that would be great..I have not been able to find one..

Thanks for any input..
I have in my files an article that details to some level the work in dropping a 3.6l engine into a 2.5l Boxster.

The issues should be nearly identical.

PM me and I'll look for the article and email you copies (in PDF format). Funny but on another Boxster board someone else is looking to drop a 3.4 "long block" into a 2.7l Boxster.

Engine has to be spaced down a bit. In the article a mention was made of spacers offered by company in Germany but the article a few years old and I believe there are other sources of these spacers. Once properly positioned the engine should bolt right up to transmission.

Boxster water pump is used to put the coolant hose connections right way round. This bolts right on to the 3.4 block.

3.4l intake manifold gets turned 180 degrees.

IIRC 3.4l engine came only with cable controlled throttle body. Thus you need to source a suitably sized E-Gas TB that you use on the 3.4l engine. Maybe a 3.2l TB is it. Maybe a 3.6l TB. I don't know.

Oh, I think you need an aftermarket exhaust system or have a shop that can extensively modify the 3.4l engine exhaust headers to adapt them to the rest of the Boxster's exhaust system.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Coupe
Hello,

Thanks for any input..
Please send me an email to my work email address (marcw@davisnet.com) and I'll get a copy of the article (2 actually) I talked about off to you.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Boxster S 3.2L motor and 996 3.4L motor are identical, with the exception if the cylinder bore (same block). You can use all the Boxster parts, like intake manifold, etc, etc, and bolt it right on to the 996 block. Otherwise it will bolt right in like the original 3.2L motor. You will need to update the DME program to fit the larger capacity motor.

BTW, 1998-1999 996 3.4L M96 motors had wire operated throttle body, and 2000-2001 3.4L have electrical operated throttle (E-Gas). But sinse you can use the Boxster S air intake, this is not an issue.

Quick Reply: 3.4L 00 S swap?