Sponsored by:

Locking/unlocking issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:13 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Locking/unlocking issue

I posted this once a while back and got no responses. Thought I'd try again....

A while ago my key fobs stopped working to lock/unlock the doors and open the boot lids. Not wanting to spend a ton of money for that minor convenience, I have just been locking and unlocking the car with the key like any other Joe has to do with his car. However, some strange things seem to happen when I do this. The car is a MY03 base. I'm not sure if this is procedural or if I have something malfunctioning , but I would assume that I should be able to use the key normally in this manner without these issues.....

1) When I park and lock the doors from the driver's door using the key and NOT the fob button (which does not work either), then go away for a time (like to work or over night), then come back and unlock the doors from the drivers door using the key , three things seem to happen:

a) The alarm will go off within seconds if I do not immediately get in, put the key in the ignition, and turn it at least one position even though I have used a legitimate key......

b) I can not seem to unlock the passenger's door from the lock/unlock switch on the dash...it is lit red, and stays red, no matter how firmly or how many times I push it. I have to reach over and open the passenger door from inside, then the red light on the lock/unlock switch goes out and it returns to normal operation.

c) The fuel door appears to stay locked. The next time I need to open it, I have to get out of the car, close the driver's door, lock and then unlock the driver's door with the key, then the fuel door will open. Kind of embarrassing at a gas station.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be malfunctioning?
Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Locking the door sets the alarm, deactivating it is with the ignition not the door so you must start car.

turm key in door twice to unlock all, the fuel door and passenger door open together, this should fix both
Old 11-20-2009, 10:16 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Sounds as if the coding on the keys went bad somehow, or even the base went bad. If both went bad simultaneously, the receiver on the car might be more likely. Did you check the fuses? From what you describe the whole deal is more than an inconvenience. Your alarm gets set and you are not deactivating it.

Seems odd but... in times like these if you can't figure it out it might be worth spending a few bucks to get it fixed at a shop. You'll probably need their services to get the programming matched up. Surely worth a few bucks given the hassle you describe? I know it isn't really technical assistance but... there really isn't a way to program it yourself.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:54 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You have exactly the same symptoms my car has. I have checked the keys (both of mine failed), they just wore out. Need to be replaced and reprogrammed. Rather than spend the $$ on that, I just use the key and manually lock and unlock. A tip; if you use the key manually, start it, close the driver door, you can unlock the passenger door using the button on the dash. I also deactivated the clutch interlock (because I hated having to push in the clutch pedel to start the car). I ALWAYS leave it in neutral and just start it standing outside the car...which I can do quickly. It is a little more graceful and gives me more time to start without worrying about setting off the alarm.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:10 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Originally Posted by NJcroc
Locking the door sets the alarm, deactivating it is with the ignition not the door so you must start car.

turm key in door twice to unlock all, the fuel door and passenger door open together, this should fix both
Thanks. Didn't know about the turn twice to unlock all trick.

Quick Reply: Locking/unlocking issue