Sponsored by:

How To Bleed a 99 Boxster TIPTRONICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:22 PM
US928
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Bleed a 99 Boxster TIPTRONICS

I have just installed a new water pump, can someone tell me how to bleed, i did not flush the coolant, it is a 99 TIPTRONICS, Thanks in advance, Vic
Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by US928
I have just installed a new water pump, can someone tell me how to bleed, i did not flush the coolant, it is a 99 TIPTRONICS, Thanks in advance, Vic
Briefly, the technique is to fill tank with coolant, start engine and run it until it gets the coolant in its water jacket hot enough to open the thermostat and then when the coolant level drops in the tank to add more coolant -- when safe to do so -- until all air pockets removed. Until you can add no more coolant. The level no longer drops when engine up to full operating temperature and kept there for a while. (But you still should monitor the coolant level after any work on cooling system just to make sure there are no air pockets or leaks that can cause the coolant level to drop.)

A real pain and frankly to my way of thinking strictly medieval.

There are rather inexpensive tools that will connect to the coolant tank opening and by which you can pull a vacuum in the cooling system -- I've been told by service techs enough of a vacuum the rubber hoses collapse -- then shut off the vacuum line and open a line that runs to a multigallon container of properly mixed coolant. The vacuum in the cooling system will cause the cooant to flow into the engine with no air pockets.

IIRC Mike Focke (www.mikefocke.com (?) or search for Pedro's Garage web site either of which I think has a section pages that describes the 1st technique and maybe offers links to the tool I mentioned.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:02 PM
US928
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, i heard that TIPTRONICS is different, i guess i have remove a fuse, but i don't know which

Quick Reply: How To Bleed a 99 Boxster TIPTRONICS