Sponsored by:

Fell into 98 Boxster and now I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 05:47 PM
holisterman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fell into 98 Boxster and now I need some help

I heard about a neglected 1998 Boxster through a friend of a friend, and now it's in my garage. It had a blown right radiator which I have replaced as well as the water pump, thermostat and belt.
The radiator fan is not working however it will run after I applied direct current to it. The engine cooling fan is also not working however the left radiator fan turns on when the engine comes up to temperature. I tested the relays and the appear to be functioning. Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix or where to trace the problem with the fan?
The other major malfunction I have with my new car is the climate control system is not functioning. Any hints or tips on how to diagnose this system would be much appreciated.
I can't wait to get my new car on the road. I will post some pictures soon of my "barn find".

Thanks
Mac
Old 10-11-2009, 07:48 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

My Boxster's engine fan only comes on when I drive on those 300+ mile road trips. The front radiator fans should turn on when your needle on the temp gauge reaches mid 0 to later 0 on the 180 mark,other then that they should be on all the time when the AC is on.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by holisterman
I heard about a neglected 1998 Boxster through a friend of a friend, and now it's in my garage. It had a blown right radiator which I have replaced as well as the water pump, thermostat and belt.
The radiator fan is not working however it will run after I applied direct current to it. The engine cooling fan is also not working however the left radiator fan turns on when the engine comes up to temperature. I tested the relays and the appear to be functioning. Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix or where to trace the problem with the fan?
The other major malfunction I have with my new car is the climate control system is not functioning. Any hints or tips on how to diagnose this system would be much appreciated.
I can't wait to get my new car on the road. I will post some pictures soon of my "barn find".

Thanks
Mac
Radiator fan controlled by engine controller. Fan switched on low speed when cooilant reaches 206F (some sources disagree but by 6 or 7 degs. F) and switched to high speed when coolant reaches 215F. Again some sources quote a higher number. Fans also switched on when A/C compressor on.

Fan wiring has one or two ballast resisters in the wiring. The wiring should be routed and clipped in such a way these are protected from road debris but reside in the radiator air flow.

Porsche techs have told me -- even shown me -- that many times if the radiators worked on either because of accident damage or replacement or even moved about for cleaning between radiators and A/C condensors the wiring can get damaged or routed improperly and the wiring circuit damaged.

You hae a working fan. You can use the wiring and its routing as an example to know what the non-working side should look like.

Also, you can swap left and right relays just to be sure the non-working fan's relay is working. Sometimes relays look ok but are not ok.

A/C has at least one relay. If car equipped with auto climate control there's a way IIRC to switch the A/C system into diagnostics mode and you can via the button controls query the system and perhaps learn what's wrong. If you can't find this info here email me and I'll send you a copy I picked up.

Also, check the system has refrigerant. Check system for leaks and if found fix then install a new drier and evacuate system completely and recharge with refrig. and the proper amount of compressor oil. Chances are you'll have to have this done at an A/C shop that knows these cars.

Avoid running compressor if you suspect it is low on refrig or oil. This can damage the compressor.

Engine compartment fan could be fuse, relay. IIRC if something wrong with engine compartment fan circuit coolant over temperature warning light should flash. Is if flashing?

Be careful. If engine compartment hot and you "fix" fan it can come on while you're working on it. Best to disconnect battery from car to avoid any surprises. Note radio code 1st though cause you might have to re-enter this when you reconnect battery.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:28 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Link
Link to a/c diags
Old 10-18-2009, 01:20 PM
holisterman
3rd Gear

blinkwatt, Macster and mikefocke; thanks for the help.

Found a bad ground in the rear trunk and was able to get engine cooling fan working. Right radiator fan was found to be shot by jumping the relay and applying direct current to it; would only run at high speed. Ordered a new one from Pelican and it works great.

The climate control still does not power up. The instrument cluster also does not work other than the back lights and the temperature gauge and the row of indicator lights along the bottom of the cluster also work.

I believe the climate control receives power from the instrument cluster. Checked the power coming into the cluster and it is present so maybe the instrument cluster is shot (?) and that's why the climate control is not turning on?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Mac,

Congrats on the Boxster, welcome to Rennlist!

Quick Reply: Fell into 98 Boxster and now I need some help