Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 02 Boxster S, What to look out for.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:52 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 02 Boxster S, What to look out for.

I am considering a O2 Boxster S as a good weather daily driver. Aside from the rear main seal issues, What are some of the other problem areas I should be concerned about?

Are they tough to work on being mid engine? With the mileage I am looking at what kind of cost can I expect for a clutch replacement.

Is it better to go "03" and latter since these cars have the variocam?
Thank you for the input.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by renvagn
I am considering a O2 Boxster S as a good weather daily driver. Aside from the rear main seal issues, What are some of the other problem areas I should be concerned about?

Are they tough to work on being mid engine? With the mileage I am looking at what kind of cost can I expect for a clutch replacement.

Is it better to go "03" and latter since these cars have the variocam?
Thank you for the input.
RMS should be oil tight. if not you should have it fixed. And at the same time the IMS improved seal and micro-encapsulated bolts installed. Many RMS leaks are due to leaking IMS seal or bolts. Since IMS and RMS located under over each other hard to know which is leaking. Solution? Replace both.

At same time be sure shop checks crankshaft position. Dealer service departments have go/no go gage to use. Indy shops I don't know. If out the engine's toast and must be replaced. Better the seller find this out and not you.

All engine maintenance can be done above or below (mostly) below engine. Oil/filter services, spark plugs, coil packs, etc. Other work done with passenger cabin engine access panel removed.

If a head has to come off though engine has to come out of car. Rare a head has to come off. Only saw one Boxster in shop with head removed: broken valve spring at 65K miles.

Boxster like most used cars. Check Boxster like you would any used car. Be sure all systems work, car drives good, tracks straight, stops straight, doesn't make any odd noises cold/warm or hot. Check space where cold car parked to be sure no drips under car and then when you get back from test drive park it a bit off to one side and keep eye out for any signs of fluid leaks while engine cools down after test drive.

If you find no reason to reject car then arrange to have PPI done. If PPI finds say brakes need doing get estimate and subtract this from your valuation of the car.

When you buy, if you buy car, keep the engine oil fresh and run a good brand oil (synthetic and one ok'd by Porsche for use in the engine and with the temperatures in your area) and you can drive many many relatively problem free miles.

03's nice cause they have glass rear window. VarioCam (variable valve timing) in all engines. I forget which year though got VarioCam Plus (variable valve timing and lift). Might be 03.

Clutch replacement cost I can't help you with. My 02 2.7l 5-speed has 225K miles on it and is on original clutch (and engine).

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:16 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macster, thank you for the information. What would you estimate a good price is for a 02 with 28K, leather and heated seats, but that seems about it from description. Clean carfax, 2 owner car.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by renvagn
Macster, thank you for the information. What would you estimate a good price is for a 02 with 28K, leather and heated seats, but that seems about it from description. Clean carfax, 2 owner car.
Sorry, but I have not kept up on 02 Boxster market prices.

USA published Excellence magazine runs a Boxster/996 Market Update every year. Look at recent issue at newstand and at back issues for sale page for back issue with latest Boxster market update and order this issue for reference. Some believe in the Excellence numbers, some do not. Just one data point but it is a start.

Other data points are asking prices for similar cars to the one you're looking at or for using www.autotrader.com, used prices for cars offered for sale here, on PCA web site or in its monthy magazine, and other various on line and printed car sale prices. I scout local papers for used cars for sale ads and try to keep track of how long cars are on the market and sometimes even call to see if I can learn what car advertised for actually sold for.

Use www.kbb.com, www.nada.com for used car prices. If buying use numbers from the site that has lowest resale prices. If selling use numbers from the site that has highest resale prices.

Extend search to any distance from you. Whether you'd actually buy a car from across country local seller doesn't have to know. All he has to know is he's competing against the whole of the USA used Boxster market to sell you his used Boxster.

Also, don't fixate on one year. My 2002 has been a good car and I'm partial therefore to that year, but 2003s and newer MYs are good cars as well and maybe even better. 2003 and newer has glass rear window. That's a big plus in my book but of course don't mention this to seller. If he knows his cars he knows this and if he doesn't no use educating at him at your expense.

Newer is better generally speaking so open up the years you'll consider as wide as you can, as wide as your budget will allow.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Considering a 02 Boxster S, What to look out for.