Price Check...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:01 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Price Check...

Can I get some opinions out there?

What is a 2001 Boxster S worth with 47k+ miles. It is in very good condition, some road rash on front, minor scratch on bumper, driver seat shows wear, but not worn through. Black/black.

Also, I will PPI if I decide to move forward, but the CEL is on. Owner says that it is the airbag code that needs to be cleared. Why would that be?

Thanks,

Vince
Old 08-16-2009, 09:35 PM
papasmurf
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

there is a separate warning light for the airbags...could be something else.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77

What is a 2001 Boxster S worth with 47k+ miles. It is in very good condition, some road rash on front, minor scratch on bumper, driver seat shows wear, but not worn through. Black/black.

Also, I will PPI if I decide to move forward, but the CEL is on. Owner says that it is the airbag code that needs to be cleared. Why would that be?

Thanks,

Vince

Like papasmurf said - the CEL has nothing to do with the airbag system.

Buy an OBD2 pocket scanner and scan it yourself. Write down the codes and check them out.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:53 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any records on maintenance? Frequency of oil changes, major services, etc? I purchased my car around that mileage and it needed pads and rotors all around. That is another grand or so, so it needs to be factored into the price. Also 60K service comes up before too long. Also how about tires... another fair expense to replace if they are bad.

If the CEL is something benign like on my car, and most other stuff checks out OK, I would say 17.5K or so.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77

Thanks,

Vince
Use www.kbb.com to get used car pricing info. I'd say car in good condition.

Hold off on PPI. Do you own inspection. Find Mike Focke's web site and look at section on buying used Boxster. Use info to go over car.

Not sure about the CEL or check air bag light. I'd insist car have error codes and airbag codes read and get some info as to what's wrong.

Or maybe not. If seller is so out of touch on what it takes to sell car I'd just walk away. Who knows what else he's cut corners on? There are too many Boxsters for sale to accept a piece of near crap.

Save your PPI money for a car you can't find any reason to reject.

There's always another car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys. The light could very well have been the airbag light. I'll have to check that. Carfax says that it is a 3 owner car. First owner leased it and looks like it had regular maintenance. Next guy owned it for about 18 mos and last guy about 1 year. Not sure what to think about the short term ownership of the last two owners.

It is priced about at schwank's value.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:53 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

I value my '01S with 56k miles well maintained at $16.5k in the current depressed market. It has no road rash or visible wear on the drivers seat.

The airbag light usually has to do with the seatbelt connections and the alarm ground. Well known problem (my car has been in 4 times for the same problem but no problems since the last ground wire fix) and must be done by someone with specific Porsche diagnostic computer.

Black is a hard to maintain color.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

16-18 depending on the other factors.

btw, my 02S in march with 52k with a good body and interior,had new brakes all around needed cv boots(replaced myself) needed an alignment, inspection, battery(still haven't changed, i trickle charge) needed to bleed brakes (did myself) and paid 15,750.

the ppi showed that the rms was "weeping", the sparkplugs tubes need to be replaced and 60k service will need to be performed next winter.

As long as the rms is weeping, i'll let it go until the clutch goes.
the sparkplug tubes will be part of the 60k service that i will do this winter.

If you could get it around 15k esp with the road rash you should have a pretty good deal

Quick Reply: Price Check...